Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket to temp too fast--what to do now?

BravoBBQ
BravoBBQ Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I put a 9 lb brisket on the egg last night at 3am. Now 10, and the rascal is at 195. I've had a bit of difficulty keeping fire down to 250, as it kept wanting to get to 290 or so, but most of time was 230 to 275. I just wrapped it in foil and put back on, now at 250. Since I want it to go 12 to 14 hours, what is best way to get 5 more hours of egg time without over cooking? Thanks for any help.

Adam

Comments

• I'd wrap in foil with some liquid, apple juice or maybe beef broth, then wrap in a towel and put it in a cooler. It should be fine for a couple of hours. Same kind of idea as with a pork butt. Hope that helps, Brett
  • Biscuit
    Biscuit Posts: 208
    When it's done,it's done...Like Sun Devil said wrap in foil and cooler. Should hold temp for a while,that's better than overdoing it.
  • Otobiz
    Otobiz Posts: 82
    maybe check with another thermometer, i did turkey last week for thanksgiving, and found out that my therm was wrong when checked with another.
  • OK, will do. You guys think that's better than leaving in foil in the egg, and just shutting it down to cool as the lump goes out?

Dinner's not till around 7, so I still have 8 hours to go, and the brisket's only got 8 hours of egg time.

If I put in warm cooler w/ towels now, will it hold 8 hours, or would I need to refrigerate after a few, and reheat before serving?
  • You got me on that one, usually a cooler will work for a few hours but eight is a while. I know you don't want the temp to drop below a certain level, I just don't know what that number is. Biscuit may have an idea, if not maybe do a forum search, i'm sure the question has come up before, Brett
  • Bravo,

Make sure your thermo is accurate as suggested, then move it to another spot on the brisket. You can (and I routinely do) take a brisket to 200-205 before pulling.

If you're already there, do a "fork test" - stick a fork into the flat and twist, if it breaks free tenderly, you're there - if not let her ride a little longer. Sometimes large cuts have a mind of their own, but when they're done - they're done..no need to keep egging.

THEN, you can double wrap in foil, then towels and put her in the cooler for 5 hours no problem.
  • Don't got below 140 food temp or it will be unsafe. In the cooler you may get 4 hours of time. You can wrap in foil, then saran wrap then more foil. Wrap all tight. Then just reheat in the oven. Don't slice until you need it.
  • greetings,
    as has been stated make sure you are using an accurate thermometer and if it is done then do the foil and cooler routine. once the temp gets near the 140 stage just simply put the slab in a crockpot with some beef broth and hold on "keep warm" setting most have. this is a temp below "low"
    good luck
  • Thanks, all, for your help. The meat is happily wrapped in the cooler now. I put in about a cup of beef broth mixed w/ a bit of my rub before sealing up in foil.

Will monitor the temp, and if at 140 before dinner, will put in oven at 150 for remaining time (shouldn't be too long).

Wondering why the brisket got up to temp so quickly. It never hit a plateau, just kept rising. Definitely didn't need to start cooking at 3am, though the full moon was pretty out on the deck!!! And a beer at 4 was tasty.

Cheers
  • 02Roush2
    02Roush2 Posts: 119
    I had the same thing happen on my last brisket. 8 1/2 Lbs and cooked in just under 7 hrs. I thought all was lost but the darn thing turned out to be mighty tasty despite the short cook. Hopefully you will experience the same!