Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ribs

Options
kim
kim Posts: 63
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
There seems to be a number of ways to do SPARE RIBS. My question is if you want fall off the bones spare ribs, is it necessary to do the 3/1/1.5 methods with wrapping in foil or can you go all way indirect?

Comments

• kim,
    you don't need to foil ribs to get them done at all. Foil just helps decrease the cooking time because of the "steam effect". You can do them indirect but for spares they could take as long as 6-8 hours.[p]Hope that helps.
    Matt.

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    As usual, Kim, it's a matter of personal preference here. I cook mine indirect @ ~350° for about 3½-4 hours. That gives you a rib where that meat has very slight resistance to pull but comes off the bone cleanly. You can certainly leave them on longer to achieve the texture you desire. Foil is not necessary, but again, you will find the method that best suits your cooking style and taste. Have fun experimenting!!!!!!!![p]Keep the smoke risin',
    Jim

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    kim, [p]Would you believe... I just saw your post and thought about responding, but didn't - your email however, did prompt this reply and post.[p]I don't do spares much, my personal preference is for baby backs. With that said, I can tell you that pork is the most forgiving meat that you'll ever find.[p]I frequently make baby backs and as typical, make more that I can eat. The left overs are refrigerated and reheated the next day and they are still always great.[p]If I were going to do it, I would probably test a rack before the party - I hate surprises. I would probably use the 3/1/1.5 method - spares tend to have more fat and the foil helps remove the excess - stop about 45 minutes into the foil rater than the hour. By the time you get them off and refrigerated, the hour will be up.[p]Next day, you'll probably only need an hour (or less) at about 250/300 - direct for color and because people will think that an hour is all that is required.[p]Years ago (before my BGE days and when baby back were still really checp), we used to do a 4th of July party for about 30-40 neighbors. We did the ribs in the oven - broiled on both sides for color and then in a broiling pan with a 1/4 inch of water and covered with foil. The last hour we would throw on "old gassy" and everyone thought they were the best ribs around.[p]Good luck on your party and remember - sometimes the food tastes exceptionally great because of the exceptionally great company.[p]Gfw :~}[p]