Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

thermometer

Iowa State Egger
Iowa State Egger Posts: 337
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi - i am on my husband's forum account and was hoping some of you "eggers" out there could help me. We have an anniversary coming up and he has mentioned to me that he wanted to purchase some kind of thermometer that hooks up to the inside and then you just leave it in as you cook. I think it is rather expensive, but i have no idea what it is called or where to get one. Since he is obsessed with the BGE's he owns, i thought this would make a great gift. Any other ideas for someone who likes their egg more than their wife?HA! Any help would be appreciated. THANKS - Angie

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Expensive translates to BBQ Guru or Stoker.

Most of use around here talk about the DigiQ II (the first link)

In-expensive translates to the Maverick ET-73 or the Polder you can search Google for sources of those.
  • Angie.. you may be refering to one of these MAVERICK ET-73The Maverick wireless remote smoker thermometer monitors both the meat and the smoking chamber temperature for perfect results. The remote smoker thermometer transmitter stays near the smoker and transmits up to 100 feet away to the receiver. So you can check the meat and smoking chamber from inside the house (distance depends on types of walls, etc). The wireless smoker thermometer beeps and flashes when smoked meat temperature goes above your programmed temp, or if the smoker chamber falls out of your programmed range. The smoker thermometer can be used with an oven or grill too.4 AAA batteries included. it's what a lot of eggheads use including myself there are also other bt=rands out there you just have to search for the what you would like i hope this helps
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Aside from what options you might find here, I bought a remote (wireless) Weber unit at a local hardware store to monitor the temps of my pork butts & all. It was reasonably priced and works just fine!! 8 - 0
  • Angie..
    you may be refering to one of these MAVERICK ET-73
    The Maverick wireless remote smoker thermometer monitors both the meat and the smoking chamber temperature for perfect results. The remote smoker thermometer transmitter stays near the smoker and transmits up to 100 feet away to the receiver. So you can check the meat and smoking chamber from inside the house (distance depends on types of walls, etc). The wireless smoker thermometer beeps and flashes when smoked meat temperature goes above your programmed temp, or if the smoker chamber falls out of your programmed range. The smoker thermometer can be used with an oven or grill too.4 AAA batteries included. it's what a lot of eggheads use including myself there are also other bt=rands out there you just have to search for the one you would like i hope this helps
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    a maverick et73 might be the one he is talking about. monitors pit temp food temp and has alarms for when the foods done etc. i paid about 40 dollars a couple years back from the gadget store but i dont know who has the best prices now.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Angie, that is nice of you. Egg accessories are always welcome.

Thermometers in my opinion are wonderful.

The Thermopen $80 to $100 - you can get from Moly Shark (discounted price) here on the forum, Thermoworks (full retail price) and Fred's Guitar.

Fixed remote thermometers I really like the Maverick ET-73. It has a pit probe to measure the fire temp. And a food probe that reads the meat thermometer.

There is a scrolling dispay on the transmitter which will stay by the egg. It also comes with a remote display that can be read inside the house or out in the yard.

You can find this for $40 on the internet. http://www.partshelf.com/maet73.html

My most valuable accessories in order are:
    1. Thermopen & Maverick ET-73 (no other models) $80 & $40
    2. TJV's (for the large) Adjustable Rig & Spider. Fantastic combo and a must have in my opinion.

You can find the Ajdustable Rig and Spider at http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/ceramicgrillstore/

4. Powered Vent System for long low temp cooks. The DigiQ2 or the Stoker. I have them both and like both.

There is more but the above are my top favorites.

I am sure you will get a ton more suggestions.

GG
  • give us an idea of expensive $30-100 or $400
    did your husband mention anything about using it to make pulled pork or brisket??

these answers will help us narrow donw the choices

bill
  • I'm not exactly sure how expensive he was talking to tell you the truth. I want to say it was a couple hundred though. I think he would have gotten one already if it was less than 50 bucks like the ones mentioned already are. He likes to cook just about everything on his BGE's and is totally obsessed with it. Any ideas for other accessories that he would enjoy are greatly appreciated. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP! Dave's wife, Angie
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    the adjustable rig and spider is a top notch gift, see granpas grub's post.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I think my husband is definitely talking about the digiQ II after reading about it. I visited the BBQ Guru site (by the way....is $213 a good price in your opinion?) and it appears that you can add extra "customizations" to it - like for the fan and longer probes, etc. Do you think that is something worth doing? Did you get the basic package?
  • The Maverick is just fine; its usually sold at places that sell eggs; just make sure that you get one that has 2 sensors; one for the meat and one for the egg temps. I have had one for about 3 years now and it works great. Only around $80 ballpark and well worth it. Range is ok; can usually pick up signal most anywhere in my house and my egg is just outside on the deck. Another nice thermometer is the "Thermopen" instant read meat / food thermometer. I bought one recently and they are really great for chicken and other meats that you grill and want to get to the exact internal temp. These are much more expensive than a typical meat thermometer but they are very accurate.
  • Celtic Wolf
    I have three of them.. Yep it's worth doing..
    digiq_in_action.jpg

You need the fan (10CFM), but the longer probes aren't really necessary.
  • Ok - i am getting a little bit confused - what is the main reason why i should get him the DigiQ II over the Maverick - is it because of the fan. Can you use the DigiQ without the fan if you wanted to? I'm not much of an egger myself, so pardon my lack of knowledge. Since you seem like a professional egger - can you tell me any other gifts that you think he would enjoy? THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR ADVICE - Angie
  • Grandpas Grub
    If you decide on the Maverick get ONLY the ET-73. There is a ET-7 but don't get it. Two meat probes, no alarms less transmitting distance.

See my post above and you can find it for $40.

I have a Digiq2 which you are looking at and I almost always use the Digiq2 along with the Maverick ET-73. I like being inside and being able to see the temps without looking at the egg (and the DigiQ2).

Get them both ET-73 & DigiQ2.

I called Fred Sr. when I got my DigiQ2 and for my large and he said get the 10 cfm fan (Viper). It was a good choice. I haven't seen a need for the longer probes with my setup.

If your husband is into computers also look at the Stoker. It has the ability to interface with a computer, notify a cell phone.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    The powered vent system (DigiQ2 or Stoker) controls the fire (pit) temperature and monitors the temperature of the meat.

The unit keeps the heat at the level you want without adjusting the vents on the egg.

When the meat temp. gets to the desired both units will cut off air flow to the lump which will help from overcooking the food.

The Maverick will only monitor the pit temp. and the meat temp and will sound an alarm if the alarm has been set.

GG
  • Celtic Wolf
    The DigiQ II is a temperature control device. The Maverick is just a measuring and monitoring device.

The DigiQ II is designed to monitor the temp of the Egg and the Meat and adjust the temperature as needed. Kind of like what your oven will do.

The Maverick still requires manual intervention if the temp goes astray.

If your husband likes to sleep the DigiQ is the way to go. :)

The adjustable rig mentioned by Grandpas Grub is an excellent accessory even if your husband already has a plate setter.

He might like an assortment of Dizzy Pig Rubs
  • Thanks for the tips - so i'm a little confused though - if I buy him only the digiQ II - is that something that he won't be able to read the temps on while being away from the BGE? Only the Maverick can do that? Sounds like the digi is something that you still have to be by the BGE to use? That's one reason why i want to get him something for our anniversary - he is ALWAYS going in and out of the house to check on his cooks.
  • Celtic Wolf
    With a DigiQ he won't need to go outside as often :)

The Maverick is a remote wireless device. It will work for you if the distance to his egg isn't too far from the house.

With my DigiQ I can look out the window and see all is OK.
  • Grandpas Grub
    The digiQ2 is connected by wires (probes wires) which read the temp of the food and the temp of the lump (fire itself).

There is a bright led light which shows the temp on the control unit itself. If you have the digiQ2 (q2) facing a window you can look out and see the temps.

It is all you need to monitor and control the cook.

Now the Maverick ET-73 will only monitor both temperatures. Which can be remotely monitored. For me I can go anywhere in the house and know what is happening to the cook.

If the temp changes or if the temp on the food does not rise one has to go out and check what is going on and make adjustments if needed.

If you have questions ask we all are happy to explain further and help you.

If I decided on the q2 I would also get a ET-73. I like to be in the house and monitor the cook - but it is not a necessity. Also, the q2 does have alarms. I can't hear them in the house but I am hard of hearing with high tones.

GG
  • thank you for your responses - i think i am beginning to understand all of this thanks to you guys. So if my husband's BGE is through the garage and quite a ways away, it would be best for me to get both the digi AND the Maverick right? Getting the maverick itself would tell me the temps of the inside and inside of the meat, but he would have to regulate everything himself without the help of the digi right? He already has most of the dizzy pig rubs and LOVES them. I think i will get both for him and also get the recommended adjustable rig. What exactly does the spider do? Can he use all of this when he cooks on his small BGE or does that require different accessories as well?
  • fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    Assuming 2 Eggs (one large, one small), you will have to get fan adapters for each.

Mike
  • Celtic Wolf
    The spider will hold a pizza stone that can be used as a barrier for indirect cooking.

It can also be placed in the Egg upside down and hold a WOK.

WOW WAIT!!!! He has a small egg? Does he have a large egg too?
  • yeah, he has 2 large eggs and one small one that he uses when he cooks small, quick meals for just the 2 of us. does that affect what you think i should get him?
  • Celtic Wolf
    Whew!!

OK You will need to get a different adapter for the small egg for the Guru.

These devices are meant for Lo and Slow type cooks. The kind of cooks that take hours. They usually aren't done on a small, though they can be done.

The Maverick will max out at 400 degs and die at 410+ The Guru can go higher, but not a whole lot higher.

You might want to consider what he cooks most before you buy any temp control device.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Your thoughts on the digiQ2 (q2) are correct. The Maverick ET-73 is a monitor only. If things are now what you want then someone will have to physically go out to the egg and make changes.

The Q2 will regulate AND monitor. Once in a while the egg needs attending, but not very often.

I like the Maverick ET-73 along with the q2. One could also pick up an inexpensive baby monitor to listen for any alarms from the q2. With the q2 the ET-73 is a double check and visual look at both meat and heat inside the egg.

The ET-73 might have problems going through a lot of walls. Some folks have a shorter distance, but for me I can go anywhere in the house as well as I can go several houses away from my house and my ET-73 still displays.

If your husband doesn't have a Thermopen that is a well needed thermometer also.

Here is a link to the Thermopen. http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/tpen_home.html

For me the spider is extremely valuable accessory. I use if for indirect cooking, low height for searing upside down for raised cooking. The spider is fantastic for Dutch Oven or skillet cooking.

See this post to see what I use the spider for.
    http://www.greeneggers.net/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=525600&catid=1

Every one of those cooks I used the spider.

I have not looked at the prices on the spider and the adjustable rig for a long time. I don't think it would be too much different than what I paid. I feel it was well worth what I paid and I use them almost on every cook.

Getting the Adjustable Rig, DigiQ2, Maverick ET-73 and possibly the Thermopen would be a bit of money (in my book) but I would buy all again if I didn't have them now.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Good questions there Pete.

The smaller egg could possibly be a mini - medium or small egg.

Celtic Wolf is correct, higher temp cooks (abt 400° & up) your husband won't be using the Maverick or q2. I use the Thermopen in most every cook.

Kent
  • I would get the Stoker or the digiQ2.Here is the website for the stoker.

http://rocksbarbque.com/
  • Hi Angie,

I've read through this thread and the advice has been great... but all these guys have failed to ask the single most important question of all, so I will...

Will you marry ME?
  • Too funny - that made me chuckle! I was thinking that I was a pretty cool wife to even consider buying these BGE accessories for my husband - but now i know i am!HA! My husband cooks pretty much everything - so i think I've decided to get him the digi and something smaller and then save some of the other accessories for christmas or something. THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR ALL OF THE ADVICE!
  • your husband is a lucky man...
    digi and maverick together will make a wonderful present. this will allow him to make pulled pork and brisket and still sleep the night thru. so you get to enjoy him and the food. B)
    if your husband is a techy... you might want to consider the stoker as i believe it can control 2 eggs... brisket on one pork butt on the other and the small reserved for the sides.. i do think you need a certain amount of 'geek' to use it and if he is not a techy stick with the digi.
    and
    HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    bill