Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole Rib-eye

Options
Shelby
Shelby Posts: 803
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Every year, we have a Christmas dinner party, with a whole boneless rib-eye roast (12-15 pound) as the main course. Last year, the Egg did an excellent job...but the owner has since forgotten how he cooked it. Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
(Direct/indirect; time; temp?)
Thanks!

Comments

• Elder Ward
    Options
    Shelby,[p]I like to keep it simple. I rub glaric all over it then rub Kosher salt,Thyme and cracked black pepper all over the rib eye. If I am out of fresh garlic then I use garlic powder but not garlic salt. let it set for 30 to 45 minutes then cook in ribs down over direct heat @ 275 degrees until the internal reaches 145 degrees. Let it set for 20 minutes after removing it so all the juice does not spill out. Then cut it and serve immediately. [p]Another method I have had success with is to treat it like a steak and put it on the grill when the egg is at 750 dregrees bones down for 10 minutes then shut all vents for one hour leting it dewell in the thermal heat without oxygen. It works but you have to have a lot of faith to leave it alone and not open the lid for the full hour. Most people are scared to try this method because of the cost of the cut and are not willing to do it for fear of ruining the meat. I works and is my favorite method. Oh yeah if you use this method do use a Polder as it will fry the unit in a heart beat. [p]If you got em smoke em,[p]Elder Ward
  • MrCoffee
    Options
    Elder Ward said: "Oh yeah if you use this method do use a Polder as it will fry the unit in a heart beat. [p]If you got em smoke em,"[p]Elder, Does the fried Polder add to the flavor of the Rib-eye or do you have something personal against Polders?
    Just funnin with you a little. Glad to see I am not the only one who leaves out a word here and there.[p]Terry[p] [p]

• Shelby
    Options
    Elder Ward,
    Glad to see you're back posting some! Some of us "youngsters" need your thoughts![p]I'm with you on the simple seasoning and let the flavor of the meat come thru. But...this will be a boneless rib-eye. Will have a fat cap but no bones. Still recommend direct at 275?[p]Thanks!!

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Shelby,[p]I do all my roasts pretty much the same way regardless of cut of meat. I put whatever seasoning I'm in the mood for on and then I cook @ 350°-375° with indirect heat. No need for searing unless you enjoy the extra work. Pretty much foolproof and a lot of room for error. I pull beef or lamb off at ~140° internal for a nice red center. The ends are medium to medium rare. Adjust for your preferences.[p]Keep the smoke risin',
    Jim

• Shelby,[p]Of the several standing rib roasts I've done the best were rubbed just with coarse black pepper and coarse sea salt, wrapped in saran and refrigerated overnight. Then either of two methods: (1) dome at 300, pulled at 120 degrees (do use a Polder so as not to be opening and closing the Egg); rested in barely warm oven for 30 min. The result was a perfect medium rare. (2) Oiled the seasoned roast, seared in a medium-hot cast skillet; dome at 225; pulled at 130 degrees(at a slower cook the internal will not rise as much during the dwell so it needs to be cooked to a higher temp). The lower heat method needs the browning first for color. This method seems to produce a more tender roast.
    Before slicing drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and more coarse sea salt.

• Elder Ward
    Options
    Shelby,
    Sure, the fat melting will keep it from burning but you could also have some sort of heat shield.But don't do the high heat method
    Elder Ward

• Elder Ward
    Options
    MrCoffee,
    Here and there? I lose whole sentences some days.:)
    Elder Ward

• Shelby
    Options
    JSlot,
    Rough estimate on time per pound?