Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

gasket

Options
taterhead
taterhead Posts: 19
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
For some reason I'm having a very difficult time replacing the gasket. I put a new gasket on two months ago & it has already come apart. Can someone give me the inside secret on installing a new gasket? I did not add any adhesive, I just used the regular adhesive backing that comes already attached to the gasket. I heard from dealer to use 3m 77 but if you read the specifics 77 does not hold up against high heat & can be a flammable hazard.

Comments

• Frank from Houma
    Options
    The adhesive came off when I installed the nomex. Went back with 3M 77 and haven't had any issues.

101_2478640x480.jpg

101_2474640x480.jpg

Make sure you mask off anything you don't want the 3M to hit when you apply it.

101_2459640x480.jpg

Couple other things
    Don't stretch the gasket as you install it
    Keep the gasket flush with the ID of the Egg

There may be a few other hints coming you way from others.
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    tater, I'm with Frank, use the 77 (in the future, avoid reading the specifics, ignorance is bliss :laugh: ). Scrape off the old & give it a good acetone scrubbing so the 77 has a good surface to adhere to, I did this one a few weeks ago & so far so good, I don't think I could pull it off if I tried:

IMG_1818.jpg

IMG_1819.jpg

IMG_1820.jpg

Spraying the 77 on (not as purdy as Frank's tape-job):

IMG_1821.jpg

IMG_1822.jpg

IMG_1823.jpg
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    Same thing happened to me. I cooked off the old remaining adhesive, and then applied the 3M 77. Still holding strong.

Mini

gasket001.jpg

The XL

gasket002.jpg
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Check out that raised grid. :)
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    A little home made job before I got the flip ring and hanger from TJV.

3-7-08002.jpg

You going to Eggtoberfest?
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    I did the same.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    super77 is a flammable hazard when you are spraying it, not so much after it has dried.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Bama Chad
    Bama Chad Posts: 154
    Options
    Hey Mike...I assume you trimmed that Nomex gasket yourself to get it to fit the mini? They only come in 1 size, correct?
  • Biscuit
    Biscuit Posts: 208
    Options
    1. Only replace gasket on a completely cooled BGE.
    [We recommend removing the Dome from the Base as it allows for easier access to the rim]*
    2. Remove the old gasket with a flat-edged scraper. Clean the rim of the Base and the Dome with acetone.
    [Do not use any other residue remover as it may cause irreversible damage.]*
    3. Let dry for at least 30 minutes; the surface must be totally clean for the new gasket to adhere.
    4. The new gasket is self-adhesive, but a spray adhesive can be used to ensure a good seal. If using the spray adhesive, spray a small amount around the rim of the Base and Dome. Allow this to set for about 2 minutes to become tacky.
    [We recommend using ONLY 3M Super 77 Multipurpose Adhesive]*
    5. Remove backing from gasket and press firmly down onto the rim. Bend the gasket around the rim while pressing down, being careful not to let the gasket material hang over the inside edge of the rim. Do not stretch the gasket; there is ample material for the Base and the Dome of the EGG. Allow gasket to cure for 24 hours with the lid closed before using the EGG. If the gasket should loosen, it can be glued back on with Elmer’s glue.
    [If the Dome was removed, once the new gaskets have been applied, replace the Dome back on the Base. We strongly recommend waiting a minimum of 3 days until using the EGG, allowing the materials to properly cure. We also recommend doing at least 5 low-and-slow cooks (less than 500 degrees) to allow the new gasket to season]*
    6. To improve longevity, keep gasket clean of any food or sauce drippings.
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    yep. It was a piece left over from doing the XL. I got the Nomex from the Mothership, they only had LGE gaskets a vailable so they gave me two of them. I had enough left over to do the Mini.