Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Covers

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
With Christmas approaching, Santa needs some suggestions. Do most BGE'ers cover their Eggs when not in use? Or, do they ever cool down long enough to cover? Maybe the more appropriate question should be --- "would the money expended on a cover be better utilized in the purchase of adult beverages"

Comments

• Kip
    Kip Posts: 87
    Options
    The cover works great to keep Humpty clean, but it's not necessary for performance. It also can serve as something to wear if you have way to many adult beverages!
  • mike
    mike Posts: 152
    Options
    Mike S.,
    I keep a cover on my large, but I went the cheap route and it works great. The basic Weber Grill cover for their kettle grill fits nicely over my large egg. It doesn't extend all the way to the base of my Egg Nest, but the important parts are covered and it was very inexpensive, if I recall less than $10. Good luck.

• mike
    mike Posts: 152
    Options
    mike,
    here is a link which shows what i was talking about. the one I found in my local ACE hardware store was cheaper, I think because it didn't have the weber logo and was not the premium version. But this gives you and idea of the shape and size and they do fit fine.

[ul][li]amazon link to weber cover[/ul]
  • Strmn2Smoke
    Options
    Mike S.,
    I find the 33 gal/1.1mil trash bag on my medium works well.
    Large enough to tuck in between the lid and body (helps to protect the gaskets from sticking together)and cheap enough to discard frequently. Certainly not as tailored as the $30.00 threads, but allows more alcohol money to keep the cook running...nde

• Zeke
    Zeke Posts: 90
    Options
    Mike S., If it came down to a grill cover or booze, the booze wins everytime.

• Big-R
    Big-R Posts: 36
    Options
    Mike, I have an oversized home made egg nest (oak and walnut) that I'm very proud of. I cover the nest and egg with a chaise lounge outdoor furniture cover. About $20. Helps keep both the nest and egg clean.[p]Randy
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    Mike S.,[p]Although my Eggs are now in the garage for the Winter, they spent the summer months on the deck covered when not in use.[p]I've found that besides keeping them cleaner, it's also a benefit not to have to be concerned with damp lump or fogged thermometer dials.[p]K~G

• Mike S., for about $8 you can buy a Char-Broil 4184835 cylindrical cover that fits a large. Try Home Depot, Sears, etc.