Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Simple Burgers

Cornfed
Cornfed Posts: 1,324
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Simplicity and the Egg: perfect together. Took some 80% lean ground beef and packed it into quarter pound patties o' beef. Seasoned with a(n) (un)healthy amount of salt and fresh ground black paper. Threw em on the Egg with some soaked hickory chunks. Meanwhile, sliced up a big fat onion, a healthy tomato, and a kosher dill pickle. Topped the burger with the aforementioned ingredients, a slice of sharp cheddar cheese each, ketchup, yellow mustard, and placed on large sesame seed buns.[p]The key to succes, I think, is cooking to your perfect desired level of doneness...med rare for me. Juice was flowing from these pieces of cow as they approached my mouth amd more poured out with each bite.[p]Smokey, juicy, tasty. A simple yet very delicous meal on this Saturday night.[p]GFY,
Cornfed

Comments

• Cornfed, I can think of no finer way to ruin a good T-shirt. My T-shirts are always proud to wear the colors of Mr. Humpty & Company.

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Cornfed:[p]You are certainly right about those simple things. It is hard to beat a good grilled burger or grilled brats properly dressed.[p]If you have access to a grinder, grind your own beef or ask your butcher to grind a cut you have selected for burgers. You will not be disapointed.

• Cornfed
    djm5x9,[p]Allrrralagggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    (the sound made by Homer Simpson when he puts his head back and drools in uncontrolable hunger)[p]That sounds gooood. Will try your suggestion.

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Cornfed,[p]Burgers are just another great meal on the Egg. Have you ver tried the steak method with burgers (seared)? I want to givr it a try soon.

• MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Cornfed,
    Special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun. Is this Micky Dees? Heee All kiding aside, you can't beat a good burger any time.[p]MAC[p]

• djm5x9, I have a meat grinder for game; do you just buy a cut of meat, like a chuck steak, and grind it up as is, or add additional suet, beef, or pork fat, etc.? I have always thought a good burger deserves 20% fat.
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Frozen Chosen:[p]This may not be the right answer, but it is what I like: A good inexpensive lean beef cut (hey, it is all marbled to some degree), stew beef, what ever is available, etc., and grind with a coarse plate. For me, I had rather pull the Kitchen Aid out than wait for the butcher to grind two or three pounds. The ground meat stands as is. I make no fat additions as the cuts I use have some fat.[p]At a minimum I season my burgers with Lawry's. Creativity allows me to add teriyaki & garlic; Worcestershire Sauce, Texas Pete Hot Sauce, salt, pepper, and Obie-Cue's Fajita Seasoning; and sometimes just plain kosher salt and fresh ground pepper.[p]Frozen, I think you are confusing the addition of fat to ground meat as it relates to sausage making. I can tell you from experience, lean sausage is not very tasty . . .

• djm5x9,Tell me about it! a few years back I tried making "healthy" sausage, going with about 6% fat. After the full process, I wound up with smoked tubes of gravel.

• Cornfed
    Smokey,[p]Haven't tried yet but would also love to try sometime. Ahh the Egg. What wonderful possibilities it opens for us all!
  • Cornfed
    King-O-Coals,[p]As Rodney Dangerfield said in the classic, "Back to School," Try not to get any on the walls." This is how I feel when eating super juicy BGE food.[p]Have an awesome Sunday!
    Cornfed