Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stone top table

Options
Banker John
Banker John Posts: 583
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Santa gave me permission to have a table made. I am debating whether to have a top made of marble or a sythetic (Corian or Zodiac). Does anyone have any tips on how this table top surface would hold up to weather and/or heat? The table would be outside (I live in Florida) inside my screen Lanai

Comments

• GaDawg
    GaDawg Posts: 178
    Options
    Banker John,
    There is a very nice table in the BGE store in Atlanta
    that has some sort of a stone top. I didn't look too closely at it, but to my untrained eye it appeared to be granite. You could call the store and ask them. Also, Home Depot sells marble as well as the synthetics. I bet they
    could give you good advice regarding heat and weather.
    Let us know what you do.
    Chuck

• Smoke-N-Smirk!
    Options
    table5-e.jpg
    <p />Banker John, Had the same questions when I built my table. The deciding factor came down to cost. Granite is by far the best. Marble stains, solid surfaces (corian) discolor with high heat. I went with porcelain tile. It also has it's inherent problems. The project is ton's of fun. Good luck! S-N-M!

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Smoke-N-Smirk!,[p]That is a GORGEOUS table! Do you have plans?[p]QBabe
    :~)

• Charcoal Mike
    Options
    outleft.jpg
    <p />Smoke-N-Smirk!,[p]I went with porcelaing tile as well. It is supposed to stand up to the weather MUCH better than standard ceramic tile. I also put a tile sealer on mine - when the sauce drips on it, it is easy to wipe off, even on the grout.[p]Cheers -[p]Mike

• Smoke-N-Smirk!,
    What is the difference between ceramic tile and porcelan tile? I am working on a table that i will finish next spring, and it will be outside all the time. My concerns are what to use for under the tile, cement board, or what, and also, what to use to seal the tile so h2o doesn't get in and make it all "pop" in the winter when it freezes. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Your table is very nice. It looks like you are quite the carpenter. Happy Qing.
    Seth

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    Seth Howard,
    We had a tile-top table built - for eating, not for my egg. After a lot of Q&A and some homework, this was the solution: Two pieces of 3/4 in marine plywood glued together and covered with two coats of epoxy. The glass tiles were then put on with standard cement and the groat was cement based. The whole top was then sealed. It has now been through 2 winters - in the snow belt - and has stood up beautifully. Good luck.

• Marvin,
    OK, stupid question.... i guess the epoxy didn't cause any bonding issues with the adhesive for the tile? If you have any product specs, or more info, please email or respond on the forum. Thanks Marvin, i am getting excited, the potential for this table is pretty cool. Might be "L" shaped with the small on the left and the Large on the right. A big staging/cutting station in the middle.

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    335%3C933923232%7Ffp67%3Dot%3E2327%3D8%3A4%3D933%3Dxroqdf%3E232333%3B566%3B%3A4ot1lsi
    <p />Banker John,
    I used porcelain tile on mine at the suggestion of a tile person. He said it would hold up better in the heat and cold in Texas.[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    Spring Chicken,[p]You didn't say, "the ... cold in Texas", did ya?[p]LOL[p]Jethro
    Chicago, IL

• Smoke-N-Smirk!,
    This table is really nice been wanting to build one. Did you use the plans from egg and add to design? Do you have any tips? Thanks

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    Jethro,
    Yea. A lot of people don't realize just how cold it can get down here. Heck, last year I thought I was gonna have to go buy me a long sleeved shirt. Don't spread it around. We already have enough people who want a little piece of paradise.[p]Spring Chicken

• Has anyone thought of having a top made in stainless steel?
    Easy clean, holds up to heat and weather, most shops that do
    stuff for restaurants and other places could do it.

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    duck,
    I think it would be a great surface. A few years ago a neighbor told me he could get me a panel from a commercial stainless steel appliance. He did (36" X 60") and I made a fold-up from the wall table out of it to paint on. Works great. I suspect that you could get some similar panels from your neighborhood commercial appliance dealer. If nothing else, take one off an out-of-service appliance. A few cuts and folds here and there and you would have a really nice top. Any dents just add character. Sand it with fine sandpaper or steel wool to clean it from time to time. Sure would look good on a custom made table.[p]Spring Chicken

• Strmn2Smoke
    Options
    duck,
    Way to go..no chipping, cracking, mold/mildew or leaching of toxins with stainless, not to mention the easy maintenance...NDE

• Smoke-N-Smirk!
    Options
    Jim Morgan, Yes,I used the dimensions for the egg cutout from BGE. They're right on the money. From there I just sort of winged it. I let the tile size determine the table size to help cut down on the number of tile to be trimed and cut down on waste.

• Smoke-N-Smirk!
    Options
    Seth Howard, I laminated two pieces of 3/4" exterior plywood and 1/4" wonderboard together with water proof glue and screws. I used regular Thinset for the tile but used latex not water to mix it with. I sealed it as best as I could and will do so every fall. I'm not as concerned about water as I am with expansion/contraction. Temps here go from the low teens in the winter to 100 plus in the summer. I screwed the top to the base through oversized holes to let the top float. Hope this helps.

• Smoke-N-Smirk!
    Options
    duck, It’s an awesome choice! A friend used it on his table. Very nice. However, here in the Desert sun, it’ll take your skin off in a New York minute! Have to keep it in the shade.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    duck,
    If the table is in the sun not only will it get very hot but the sun's reflection can also be a problem, other then that it would be great.
    New Bob

• duck, actually a couple years back a metal fabricator posted on this board that we builds 100% stainless steel tables and included a pix of such. That was a cool table! I lost any track of him however.

• Smoke-N-Smirk!
    Options
    QBabe,
    I do not have plans, but will be glad to help if I can.