Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brining night in Canada

Options
Carnivor T
Carnivor T Posts: 53
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Yes, tomorrow is turkey time in Canada.
And it will be my first turkey on my large BGE egg.

With the help of many of you on the forum I came to make my brine that is in the freezer to bring down its temp. before I brine my bird;

half gallon of spring water, half of gallon of apple juice, one and a half cup of kosher salt, half of cup of brown sugar, 3 garlic clove, tarragon leaves, oregano, thyme, sage.

I have a question, is this brine will do the job on my 13 pounds turkey. how long idealy

15 min per pound at 325F ok for a start ?

set up in the egg ? is it better to put the bird in an inverted rib rack in a pa, starting with the bottom up for the first hour and reverse breast up for remaining(procedure to try to equal breast and thighs temp.) If I put ice on breast for an hour before I cook is this reversal still necessary.

Merçi

JF

Comments

• East Bay Al
    Options
    I think after brining 12 hrs, you will be between 11 and 13 min per pound. Check at about 3/4 time and monitor closly. I do breast up (chill breast) and let it cook on its own. Check Mad Max recipe on the Naked Whiz web site for a more detailed instruction. Good luck, eh?
    Al
  • mikeb6109
    mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    Options
    i brined my very first turkey and it felt like i was eating a ham in the form of a turkey....never brined again since then.so i would be carefull on the brine and time that you want to let it soak!
    good luck !
  • Carnivor T
    Options
    mike,

I brined chicken halves and I liked the taste, I don't know if brining a fresh turkey is worth it if it tastes like a ham.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Probably too late now but I have never ever set a turkey into a brine. As Max said I'd rather taste the bird then the brine.

You brine to maintain moisture and give some flavor. Turkey taste good without a brine and the eggs ability to maintain moisture eliminates the need for the brine.

I just stuck a bone-in turkey breast into a stock pot for soup. What was left of it was just as moist as the day I cooked it in my egg.

Save the brine for gassers and offsets..