Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermapen - To buy or not to buy?

RU Eggsperienced
RU Eggsperienced Posts: 1,527
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK - I am Thermapenless.

I have seen numerous people on this forum say that it is a tool that has enormous value. I have to admit though I am struggling to understand why this is such a fantastic tool when I can insert my maverick wireless and measure temps and monitor remotely, while enjoying a cool beverage (or warm one - depending on the time of year/day). When looking at the price of a Thermapen, I see it is more than my Maverick and am trying to justify this investment....

If I buy a thermapen - how will my BGE Eggsperience be improved? I am really ready to be convinced. Thanks....

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Please read the specs on that Maverick (BTW I own a ET-73) and you will not see the range nor ability of a Thermapen which has a range of -50 to 572 F. All that is within 3 seconds of insertion.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • I bought a thermapen about 6 months ago -- long before my Egg. I think it's most useful for high temp grilling and stovetop cooking. Times when you want to quickly check temps in a few different pieces of meat, or, in a few different places on a large piece. Definitely a different tool than a probe thermometer.

I bought mine after a couple of cheaper Taylor "instant read" thermometers bit the dust for no reason.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    buy

Maverick is for low and slow cooking. The Thermopen's instant read capability keeps the Maverick honest and does so quickly.
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    nm

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    just get the thing. i am not here to convince you, but you have been here long enough to know that the folks here don't steer you wrong.

you spent 800 bucks for a grill. pony up the cash for a thermapen and you'll know why it's THE thermometer you need.

if you don't believe me, think of this. it responds in about a second. so. 800 degree dome temp, four steaks on the grill. you want them yanked at 125/130 each, the thermapen will tell you in 2 seconds whether they are done or not. any other thermometer will take 10 to 15.

what's the big deal? well, if you can hold your hand over a raging pile of lump for 15 seconds, you are more of a man than most of us. then do it for the other three steaks. the last one will be toast by the time you get to it, too.

i've seen on the news where some guy with a mercedes was changing his own oil because the dealership charged 100 bucks, and he could do it himself in a half an hour. my theory is, if you can afford the mercedes, you can afford the dealership doing the oil change. if not, well, you really can't afford the Mercedes.

so.... if you can afford 800 bucks for a ceramic grill, you should be able to swing the thermapen. and if you trust us here for everything else, why question us now?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    i bet that ain't the only thing that only takes three seconds of insertion.

:)
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    The instant read and the ability to read in very thin pieces of meat, like a fish fillet, is invaluable in this kind of tool. I have however, pulled the plug on the Thermapen and am now considering the mini-handheld thermocouple as it is water resistant and allows you to select a number of probes. The price with one probe is about the same, or if you wanted a second specialized probe, it will work on the same base unit.

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/handheld/mtc.html

I understand that the Thermoworks folks are working on a water resistant Thermapen, but it is down the road.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • WADoug
    WADoug Posts: 191
    Get the Thermapen. I have both the probe-in-the-meat system and a Thermapen. I use the Termapen as the reference, what it reads is correct. Any high temp cooking is usually a fast cook and you won't use the Maverick. It's (Thermapen) a different tool from the Maverick. Use both. The fast and accurate reading of the Thermapen is what sold me. Like others have said, it has a wide range of temps, it fits in your pocket, and it measures the temp of any cooked food. I wondered if getting it was really worth the expense, and I hate wasting money, but if I had to do it again, I would get the Thermapen, it's a great product. Full Disclosure...I have nothing to do with that company. Just my opinion.
  • I just bought one at the Spring Coop, used it last night for the first time-worth the money imo

doc
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    That's what I have. I like the idea if the probe fails, I gust get a new one, not a new unit.
  • how do you not burn up the maverick probe wires? or are all your cooks at 350 or less??
    any way thermo pen is the best thing since sliced bread for the serious cook... instant read.. for yeast water, meat in multiple spots, blah blah.. it is a different tool than the maverick.. and it is , with out a doubt, my most used eggcessory. i would not be with ouot one , even if i had to cook in the kitchen.
    bill
  • What probe or probes would you recommend with the mini-handheld?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    ive got three, one at home, one at camp, one in my luggage. while i can cook a descent steak without one, im more consistant at steaks with one. its the little things like knowing a strip steak tastes better to me cooked just slightly less than a ribeye steak. those few degree differences make a big difference in the overall cook
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    I never thought of putting one in my luggage. I hate putting on cold underwear. Good idea.
  • thirdeye
    I'm thinking that the 4 second probe would be the all-around best choice. I'm also looking hard at adding the the 2 second "needle probe" because I cook a lot of fish fillets, burgers and sausages. This two-probe set plus the TC would come in around $100 verses $90 for a Thermapen.

I would love to have the manly probe with the coiled cable and screwdriver handle, but that is most likely overkill for me.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• thirdeye
    Or if the TC fails, your old probe is still useable.

I just didn't get the life from my 2 Thermapens that other folks do, maybe I'm just hard on them. I like the Thermoworks products and even though they offered an attractive discount on another one, they suggested the water resistant model.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    ive got one thats maybe 5 years old, melted it by placing it on a hot simmer plate, dropped it off the deck onto some rocks 14 feet below and bounced it into the lake (still going strong). what are you doing to yours.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • thirdeye
    Internal corrosion as a result of moisture was the official determination. I'm certain they were very truthful in their diagnosis, like all of us I had heard many stories about moisture damage so was always very careful. That said, since I'm not careful enough, it's time to move to a more rugged tool.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Okay, thirdeye, you have me looking at the mini-handheld, too.

What will the 4 second probe do that the needle probe won't?

I'm thinking the needle probe and the smokehouse probe would cover all my thermometer needs.
  • Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    Just do it,I am in complete agreement with Stike. If you need to be convinced, you need to read the forum a little more.

Walt
  • Do i hear aggression in your voice?lol
  • stike
    nope
  • Cecil
    Nor none in mine but a "convince me" post,(in this case) calls for a "just do it" response.

Walt
  • thirdeye
    That combination would be good to, although the polder style cable therms with that same J bend in the probe are only $15 or $20.

I was thinking that the 4 second one is sturdier and also has the benefit of the smaller tip and would get used most of the time. The very small diameter of the needle probe was what caught my attention for fine work like entering from the side of a chop, or leaving a very small hole in a sausage casing or piece of chicken, and also measuring the different zones in loins or breasts that have been stuffed and rolled.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• No but really, you made alot of sense in what you said and really broke it down. I know i listen to you eggsperts carefully and don"t 2nd.guess. I have nowhere the experience that ya"ll have,so i know that i"m paying attention...Question-I know the egg is designed to maint.a steady temp.for a long period.But for a long low/slow cook the thermapen is to make sure that your desired temp. don"t drop below where you want correct?
  • I hear you partner!! I guess certain post require certain kind of answers huh? You egg veterans are on it. ;)
  • Cecil
    Jerry has been around and read enough that I think he had enough info.

Walt
  • I have had one for about a year and a half. It gets used with the BGE for steaks and in the kitchen for anything on the Gas Range/Grill. If someone wants a steak med rare or medium, the Thermapen is the fool proof way to go. Well worth the investment. I even used it to check the head temperature on a Giant Scale RC Airplane gas engine to see if it was over heating.

Mike
  • I read the comments on the reviews but when I saw the Polder Instant Read on Amazon for about $13 I could not resist. Will this break after the first use?

*EDIT*
    It is the Polder 371 Quick Tip
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000G2SU68
  • MopCop
    MopCop Posts: 21
    I purchased an Instant Read Digital Thermometer from American Backyard Bar for around $40. It can be found on the Big Green Egg website at http://biggreenegg.com/thermo.html Part # IRT.

There is only one color available and it has a couple of features that I do not use.

It looks like the Thermapen, is accurate and records temperatures in 3-4 seconds. When I purchased Instant Read Digital Therometer, I thought it was the Thermapen.

I do not know if there are any differences other than color and price $40 vs $80.

Checked Temperature with boiling water when I received it and was on the money. Have used it without any difficulties thus far.