Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large BGE Underbite (Dome Misalignment)

Options
Nils
Nils Posts: 82
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Working through dealer for over a week, and I am not very patient when it comes to potential interuptions in my grilling! :pinch:

Still a new LBGE, a month old. Replaced gasket twice already (adheasives failed).

I notice that the top/bottom domes are aligned very well to the rear, and both sides, but there is a distinct "underbite" on the front edge that measures right at 1/4 inch (see photo)

Front_quarter-inch_Gap.jpg

Anyone else seen this, and know if it has caused any issues, or if this is considered to be within "normal" tollerances for a LBGE?

Thanks,

Comments

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    That is defective and needs to be replaced. Call your dealer or mothership.
  • Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    Options
    I agree if one side is lined up and the other is not, either the top or the bottom is not shaped correctly and is most likely out of round.
  • Regis
    Regis Posts: 23
    Options
    I would contact Bruce in customer service at the Mothership. He is extremely helpful. I had an issue with my medium not sealing correctly. I tried everything. My dealer was no help because all he knew about the Egg was the price.

I contacted Bruce and sent him photo's. He said based on my photo's that the rim of the base was defective and needed to be replaced under warranty. Finally got a new base from the dealer, and medium seals great now.

Great customer service!!
  • WileECoyote
    Options
    Just a note of caution: I had a very similar situation to this after replacing my gasket. I was almost certain that the dome or the base was out of round. The side walls where the bands connect appeared to be perfectly aligned and flush, yet a small amount of over or under bite was always visible on at least one side just as shown in your photo. After careful study and measurement, however, I determined that it was the shape and placement of the gasket which created a visual deception.

The gasket was stretched a bit more and a bit less in some places as I worked it around the rim of the egg. I tried to keep the inside edge of the gasket flush with the inside wall of the egg but it wasn't always perfectly aligned, so the gasket stuck out a bit less or a bit more in certain areas. In spots where the top gasket was recessed a bit but the opposing bottom gasket was protruding just a bit, the combined effect made it look as if there was an under or over bite condition. I was able to verify this through careful measurement of the base, dome, and gasket with a caliper and by rotating the loose dome to different positions on the base. So I just aligned it, tightened the bolts, checked my seal with a dollar bill, and have been egging away ever since. No issues at all, and now the under / over bites don't exist any more since the gasket has shriveled a bit due to many cooks.
  • Big Papa
    Big Papa Posts: 220
    Options
    My New LArge is the same way. No leaks though.
  • SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    Well I thought I'd put my 2 cents in. As some of you know we've been a dealer for over a year now and have sold a couple hundred or so Eggs .. almost every one has been assembled by either my main helper or by me personally. In my opinion, they appear to just be sort of randomly shaped and sized...the domes and the bases... some more "oval" than others ..some seem smaller .. we sometimes go as far as to swap domes and bases to make a bunch of nice fitting ones BUT we are mostly concerned with the SEAL and not really the looks of the thing. My personal large the one side is way off ... sort of a sideways bite thing.

I've also been experimenting with a thicker gasket felt for my personaly Medium egg which would NOT seal in the back no matter what ... I have a video on that gasket replacement (my website or if you don't want to see my store just go to youtube or podomatic.com search for my username) it's pretty boring except for the part where I try to "adjust" the spring bands with the rubber mallet that part was sort of fun.

Anyway ..hope I helped a little, again , I think the SEAL is the thing you need be mostly concerned about because if it leaks, that is where it starts to burnout, etc.

Happy eggin.
    FB/SGP
    Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa. 
  • Nils
    Nils Posts: 82
    Options
    Smokin (and comments by others!),

Thanks for the info! I do have a good seal all-around, so I suppose I don't really have to worry about it that much.

Wish you were my dealer (I'm on the left coast though!) Mine hasn't said anything about it, and it's been over a week since I spoke and sent pictures, and also followed up this week.

Back to my "custom-unique" LBGE!