Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New BGE w/stainless steel

Russell Harris
Russell Harris Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After reading all the plans know to man to build a table this is what I came up with. Went to a used supply house, found a prep table, added wheels, went to a fabricating shop had a hole cut, then came home and cut off about 8 inches of each leg. Spent $270 for table and wheels, and $35. for hole cutting.
P9240001.jpg

Comments

• aaind
    aaind Posts: 235
    NICE Oh I want one of them ,where did you get it
    Dave
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Very cool, I like that alot.
    Did you check the weight capacity of the lower shelf?
  • Bottom shelf has been attached with screws into the legs. I also put 2 2x4's under the shelf to give it more strength. All total I have $304.50 in the table. Look for used kitchen equipment locally. With the economy the way it is, there is plenty of used equipment to be found. Hardest part was getting the circle cut, also I would make a small cut for the hinge to set into, which would allow me to lower the egg another 3-4 inches. A little late now. :)
  • BurntRaw
    BurntRaw Posts: 565
    Nice!

It does seem like a lot of weight on that shelf though?
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    One recommendation....please put the 3 BGE feet on top of the paver and under your BGE ...it helps airflow and your paver will not crack...

looks great otherwise....
  • probe1957
    probe1957 Posts: 222
    I give it an unqualified thumbs up.
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Russel:

Thats one nice table I wish I had seen one before I got the BGE wooden table.
  • Hi Russell, nice SS table you have there. I like the Stainless Steel tables because except for washing them they are pretty much matenance free. Won’t have to refinish it in a couple of years like with the wooden tables.

AuntieEgger
  • Nice - ditto what vidalia1 said and someone mentioned a while back that you shouldn't put the DFMT on the SS - It will leave a rust ring.
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Great table!

I've been using a SS prep table as a side table (my Eggs are in nests) for several years. I've got a couple observations for you that may be useful . . .

1. If in the sun, stainless gets unbelievably hot, just like any other metal would.

2. If the sun hits at the wrong angle, it can also be blindingly bright.

3. Stainless, unfortunately, does not mean "never gets stained." It means, "I stain less than other surfaces will but will still show the spots." As someone else mentions, it will show rust from damp carbon steel products left on it.

4. Its easy to keep reasonably clean - for the basics I use a squeegie like you'd use for a car windshield.

Again - great job!