Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Red bud for smoking ??

Sirhuntsalot
Sirhuntsalot Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have an old red bud that hit the ground in a wind storm. Anyone ever use it for smoking. Seems like it would be like a fruit wood but not sure. Any thoughts?

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    did it produce any fruit before it hit the ground???

if not i would not use it

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Red buds dont have fruit...it has purple flowers in the spring. I have seen one company selling red bud chips but was wondering what it was like.
  • I found one reference that said the flowers were edible and made a good garnish for salads.

I found another reference that said the leaves are poisonous to livestock and humans if eaten raw and in large amounts.

Why not try the smokewood with an inexpensive chicken breast to get a sense of the flavor?
  • Hooter
    Hooter Posts: 134
    I used to smoke redbud back in the day....
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,507
    I thought wood must be dried/aged before you can smoke it?
    canuckland
  • I cut down a Crab Apple this summer. Still have the limbs. Anybody ever use this?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    according to Chucks Smokehouse which sells crab apple wood for smoking they say...A sweet fruity wood that produces good smoke. Just as versatile as Apple but with it's own distinctive flavor.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Good to hear. I'll go gather some up now and give it a try.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    whoa...if you just cut it this summer I just imagine it better dry for a year or so.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i dunno...

i have also heard folks say not to use crab apple, for what it's worth. i think the best (and only) thing to do is to toss a chunk in a fire and see what you get. if it smells good, it's likely tastes good. try a chicken breast or something to be sure.

Alton Brown's show featured a revered roadside barbecue joint, and the guy said that he used green wood.

it sounds entirely logical that green wood would create creosote, bitter flavors, etc., i just don't know anyone that's actually tried it and confirmed it. hahaha

flashback bob got some pear wood (i think) from a neighbor of his, and the guy used it green. so bob tried it, and it was good. gave some to me. i tried it, and it was good...
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Nah, it is dry as a bone. Can't even saw it. Split some w/ a hatchet. Got center cut filets to go one. So far it smells good.
  • Not sure it added anything, maybe just a slight "wang", but not much else. Filets were great, but with only 8 minutes on the egg, how much flavor would they take up from the smoke? I'll try again when I'm cooking something a bit longer.

IMG_1804.jpg