Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Round Steaks?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I bought a quarter cow a while ago and have a tremendous amount of round steak I need to use up. I was thinking of may be seasoning each one (they're pretty thin) with some sort of rub, stacking them, tying them and low and slow indirect with mesquite chunks for a sort of pit beef outcome. Any thoughts, suggestions or other ideas?

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    this sounds like it may be what you are looking for

Beef, Steak, Round, Stuffed Beef Rolls, Bisteces Rellenos (Pajaritos), Mexican

Rolled and stuffed meats are common in traditional Mexican cooking. This is not what you are looking for but maybe similar and could be adapted. I have cooked this for some one from Mexico and she had no complaints.

2 lb beef round steaks (sirloin), cut thin
    Salt and freshly ground pepper
    2 carrots, diced
    1 lb spinach, stems removed
    10 thin slices cured ham, about 6 ounces
    5 ripe tomatoes, roasted and peeled
    2 cloves garlic, toasted
    1/4 tsp ground cumin
    1/8 tsp ground cloves
    33 Tbs oil
    1/4 cup chopped onion
    1 Tbs all-purpose flour
    1 1/2 cups unsalted beef stock
    1/4 cup red wine
    2 bay leaves
    1 chili Serrano
    2 Tbs chopped cilantro

1 Cover each steak with a piece of waxed paper or plastic wrap and pound until 1/4" thick. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper and set aside.
    2 Place the carrots in a saucepan of boiling salted water and cook until crisp-tender. Drain and set aside.
    3 Rinse the spinach, place in a skillet with just the water that clings to the leaves, covering cook over medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until wilted. Drain and chop finely. In a small bowl, combine the carrots and spinach and set aside.
    4 Place a slice of ham on top of each steak, fill with the spinach-carrot mixture, roll up and tie with a string.
    5 Purée the tomatoes, garlic, cumin and cloves in a blender.
    6 Heat the oil in a skillet, add the steaks and brown lightly, 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a platter and set aside.
    7 Sauté the onion in the same oil, add the flour and stir for two minutes. Add the tomato purée and cook over high heat, stirring constantly, for five minutes. Add the stock, wine, bay leaves and chili serrano and simmer for five minutes. Correct the seasonings. Add the steaks and any juices that have accumulated on the platter. Cook, covered, over low heat for 10 minutes or until tender. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve hot.

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Author: Mexico-The Beautiful Cook Book page 153

Source: BGE Forum, Tiburon, 11/02/06

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• dukedog
    Options
    Great sounding recipe, Thanks! Didn't think of pounding flat, stuffing and rolling - opens up a whole bunch of options. Thanks again!
  • Beanie-Bean
    Options
    That's perfect...I did some over the weekend, and it was great! I used hickory, though, because I was cooking ribs as well.
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Dukedog,
    After 70 years the best round steak that i've ever had is pan fried with milk gravey
    Ross