Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

what to do with two 3.5# roasts

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,897
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was just foraging through our freezer and found two big Sirloin Tri-Tip Roasts - each 3.5#. Why I bought them I don't recall, but being frozen and that size that's far more meat than any recipe I fix for us and don't want that much in leftovers to linger for a week. Only thought was perhaps using one for ClayQ's Pulled Beef recipe. Would a tri-tip work in lieu of chuck roasts in it? Or any other ideas which could be cooked and then used for say pit beef and frozen?
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I don't think there is enough fat in the tri's for pulled meat. Why not cook them like tri's, hot and quick and the leftovers slice and have sammies?
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Don't think steak will work for pulled beef. Meat grinder will make some mighty fine sirloin hamburger outa one of the tri-tips. The other for pit beef sandwiches; Two or three days in the brine bucket with a low salt brine mixed with Italian herb spices then slow roasted indirect with hickory smoke until 135-140 internal. Sliced nice and thin,... the brining would bring a new dimension of flavors,... could be excellent, don't know for sure not having used tri-tip before.
    I've brined sirloin tip roasts and rump roasts and it's good, better than the store deli beef in my opinion.
    My brine ratio for beef is one cup kosher salt to one gallon spring water, no sugar.
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Too bad we live so far apart... I'm off to Sam's to pick up eight [thet thire's "8"] tri-tips for a cook I'm doing Friday night.

Ciao!

~ Broc