Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

my mid-week wings got wung!

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,895
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Being retired I like to egg whenever I feel like it. Yesterday I got a hankering for Georgia Red Wings so it was off to Sams for a 7 pound package. When all cut up that produced 52 drumettes and flats which I then marinated in the sauce concoction for 24 hours before going on the grill today. For the first batch I laid a heavy cherry wood smoke on them.
IMG_2541.jpg
They got a little more dark and crispy than I wanted but were still good enough that I sat right down and ate 16 of them for lunch! :laugh:

Then the other batch went on and these came out beautifully...of course I had to eat two from that batch! Call me one full retiree, but I left room for pizza for tonight!
IMG_2546.jpg

BTW here's the Georgia Red Wing recipe. I do it a little differently in that I use my plate setter inverted and then go with a 400° dome temperature and find no need to flip nor peek for 40 minutes. I also use Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom to kick the taste a tad hotter.
http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=55&func=view&catid=1&id=184171
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• milesofsmiles
    Options
    WUNG WINGS = very good food. I do not thing I could beat you at consumption....well maybe. Great pics. The swamp venom is one of my favs. , the wemmin are sowly coming around to hot stuff. I just kick the heat up every other cook. Congrats on your wings. Miles out. Now back to the grass mowing.
  • RRP
    Options
    LOL - actually I'm not that big of an eater, but like they say "Honest Officer - it just happened" - BTW I didn't mention I topped them off with a cup of Häagen-Dazs...hehehe
  • Central IL Egger
    Options
    Ron,

That looks AWESOME!! I just ordered some Dizzy Pig Seasoning and got it yesterday. You made it easy for me to decide what to cook this week!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    please send the 36 from the first batch to texas. will pay postage....
    that first batch looks so good
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    thanks ron i will try them indirect next time ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• andy_b
    Options
    Those look beautiful!

Did you prepare the grill grates at all so that you would not have them stick?
  • RRP
    Options
    Yes I sprayed it with PAM the first cook, but not the second batch, but sticking was not a problem. That marinade produces very moist wings so there's little drying and sticking...I think that's the reason!
  • Marc  from IL
    Options
    YumYum one of my favorites
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Great stuff RRP...I too love the Ga red wing as a base recipe and do diff mods to it every time..the SV is an eggcellent choice! :woohoo:
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Options
    Two of my favorites chicken legs and cherry smoke. Never went heavy with the smoke, would you do it again?
  • RRP
    Options
    I like cherry, but this was 3 big handfuls and it was too much, but it didn't make the wings bitter though. Just the same the chips caused me some temp problems and Mr Egg fought me to stay up at 400 most of that cook. OTOH for the second batch I cruised at 400 with no trouble and the second batch was considerably better.