Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Doing a Beer Can Chicken tomorrow, what’s best?

Wanabe
Wanabe Posts: 355
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Beer Can Chicken tomorrow, my bird weights about 4.5 lbs. I have all the DP rubs but haven’t done a BCK before. Any suggestions, I have a vertical wire rack and a Maverick ET-73.

Comments

• I usually use a hard cider for something different. Comes out nice and tasty.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Raging River is my favorite on chicken. If you prefer something with a little more kick you should try Jamaican Firewalk.

Cook it indirect at 425-450 for about an hour, maybe 75 minutes.

Rest for 10 before carving.
  • Wanabe
    How about if I use a temp probe?
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    160 in the breast and 185 in the thigh. I take mine a bit higher, but those will suffice.

I never do can chicken, I strongly prefer spatchcock. They just turn out better for me.
  • Wanabe
    Thanks for the tips. I kinda got myself in a Beer Can frame of mine. I’ll try Spatchcock another time.
  • I probably should try a spatchcock again, but I always do vertical chickens and they take an hour.

I made my best chicken last weekend thanks to Mad Max.

You don't need the remote thermometer for this, just check it with the instant read (thermapen if you have it) toward the end of the cook. The cooking temp is above the recommendation for the probe wire. You could use the temp probe as an instant read, just don't leave the probe in and close the dome when you're cooking over 400 unless you shield the wire somehow.

I like to rub with Cavendars greek seasoning or DP Shakin the Tree, but there's all sorts of options that way. Salt and pepper are fine too.

Melted some butter in the microwave, basted the bird (in the vert stand), dusted with rub and let the butter cool before cooking. Cooked indirect between 450 and 500 with a disposable alum pie plate under the chicken. After 30 minutes, start basting the bird with the drippings every 10 or 15 minutes. Check the temp at 1 hour (I like 185-190 in the thigh).

You can also bake some taters while you're doing this.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    As far as the beer can goes: Open, then drink the entire beer. IMHO, the beer does nothing for the chicken. However it may work to collect some of the juices that are released.
  • Wanabe
    I think we are going to forget the beer and use white wine instead. I'll try and remember to take pictures.
  • Bacchus wrote:
    As far as the beer can goes: Open, then drink the entire beer. IMHO, the beer does nothing for the chicken. However it may work to collect some of the juices that are released.

Have to agree. Beer can chicken seemed to work on the gasser as the beer might have helped add humidity ad prevent drying, but for me it spatchcock all the time now that I have the egg. So simple to cook and just seems to yield the best chicken IMO.
  • Wanabe
    I did the wine can chicken and it was the best I can remember. I'll have to try Spatchcock soon.