Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Starter Cubes

Options
Bacchus
Bacchus Posts: 6,019
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I was in my neigborhood Ace hardware this afternoon for some odds/ends and found myself in the grilling accessories section looking for the Weber starter cubes per the suggestion by Slotmercenary on an unrelated thread. I did buy a box, but there was the "Rutland" brand right next to it for $.50 cheaper. I almost got the Rutlands, primarily because I'm "thrifty". ;)

Anyone used the Rutland Cubes?

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    I would think a lot of the cubes are private labeled for different vendors.

If you want to be really thrifty, get a fireplace log and slice off the sizes you need.

Even more thrifty use oil/paper towel.

Stike, time to post your pictures again.

GG
  • Bacchus
    Options
    The Rutland box did seem very similar in size and shape to the BGE cube box.

Paper Towel and oil? I'm not that thrifty.
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    Our BGE cubes just went up to 6.95 for a box.

Mothership, that is too high for cubes. Need to take a look at that one.
  • Wanabe
    Wanabe Posts: 355
    Options
    My guess is that Rutland makes starter cubes for BGE. I just bought two boxes of Rutland cubes, 144 ea. box for about $13 per box.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Actually oil/paper towel or napkin is a pretty good starting method.

MAPP is a lot less cost than I ever thought it would be. The bottles seem to last for ever. I leave it on a given spot a long time.

I don't like the sparks, well my clothes don't like the sparks with MAPP.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Danny,

Thanks for the link. A while ago broc and some other folk were talking about cooing bread and such.

They were saying the cubes was leaving an odor as the cubes took a very long time to be completely gone.

I can't taste any difference but I usually put flavor wood in every cook possibly that is why.

BTW did you ever locate any RO/Kroger lump locally?

Kent
  • Wanabe
    Options
    Not yet, but still looking.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Did you see my post of some places to look or call, out your way.

Kent
  • Wanabe
    Options
    I don't recall seeing them.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Krogers has some subsidiaries out my way and your way.

Krogers lump is Royal Oak. You can google Krogers to find all the different stores but the main one I recognized was Smith Food or Smiths Food King which is out your way. I didn't know where you lived in AZ or your zip so I couldn't look a store specifically for you.

It was an easy google search though. If the store doesn't have it they will order in as much as you want.

I took them 4 days to get some for me.

Kent
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    Options
    My experience is that Weber cubes are the pure white, ice cube tray style, starters. They work well. My issue with them is that they tend to break apart a little while I'm "ejecting" them from their little plastic tray, and I may have little pieces of white stuff scattered away from where I'm lighting. Don't think I want that. The Rutland (BGE brand as well) are pressed saw dust/paraffin squares. My only issue with these is the amount of dense, white smoke they produce for a period during lighting. Just bought some 91% isopropal. Haven't tried it yet.
  • Bacchus
    Options
    Thanks Guys. Based on this I feel I should have bought the Rutland, since I am accustomed to the BGE cubes.
    I normally use my weed burner, but often when my elderly neighbor is out watering her flowers I use a cube because the torch kinda freaks her out.
  • Nils
    Nils Posts: 82
    Options
    I bought the Rutland's to try them out.

Like others have said - they do burn long - so can take 10-15 minutes to burn off, but they do a bang-up job lighting a fire, and are cheap.

No where near the mess of the Weber cubes, and are also cheaper. Same price for 24 Weber cubes as it was for 144 Rutland's cubes.

I did notice that 5 minutes alone with my nephews, they can render both cubes into litty-bitty pieces by dropping and kicking the packages around the patio, so neither cubes passed the "nephew" survival test! ;)
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    used one of those stupid fireplace logs to start the fire tonight. YUK it took 90 minutes to clear. I wanted low and slow for baby backs and I hard to jack it up to 500 quick to get rid of the smoke. then back it down. I love my paper towels and will stick to that. I do a whole bunch in a zip lock bag and pour the oil right on them and they are always ready. I do about 2 dozen at a time. works great.
  • Wanabe
    Options
    Grandpas Grub wrote:
    Krogers has some subsidiaries out my way and your way.

Krogers lump is Royal Oak. You can google Krogers to find all the different stores but the main one I recognized was Smith Food or Smiths Food King which is out your way. I didn't know where you lived in AZ or your zip so I couldn't look a store specifically for you.

It was an easy google search though. If the store doesn't have it they will order in as much as you want.

I took them 4 days to get some for me.

Kent

We have Fry's near us and my wife said the are connected to Krogers. My zip is 85374 by the way.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Here is a link to Kroger's subsidiaries.

You should be able to get Kroger lump which is private label Royal Oak from one of these stores.

http://www.thekrogerco.com/

Kent