Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs

Redpig
Redpig Posts: 35
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Buying BGE this week. Want to try ribs 1st. Any special preps, tips precautions I should take?

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Redpig,[p]There are many fine ways you can find on the forum to do ribs and everyone has their favorite. The most important consideration is whether or not you are going to use direct or indirect heat. If using direct heat, you will need to flip the ribs every 20-30 minutes. Indirect requires no turning, especially if you are using the rib rack.[p]I use pork spare ribs purchased from Sam's club. You will get a huge discount if you buy a case (usually 3 pkgs.) instead of individual packages. Last week, the ribs in the display were $1.88/lb. The price for a case was $1.25/lb.[p]I cut the chine portion (the knuckle end, which I cook seperately) off and then cut the remaining slab in half. I also remove the membrane before seasoning.[p]Next, I coat each slab with French's mustard and I apply my special rub (JSlot's Rib Rub, available at most finer markets, NOT!).[p]I use indirect heat with a rib rack. I can get 5 half-slabs in my rack and lean another one on each side, if needed. I cook at 350° for 3½-4 hours. Perfect every time! I don't add sauce to mine, but if you like it, add it during the last 30-45 minutes of cooking.[p]Hope this helps and feel free to ask for any specifics! Congrats on one of the best purchase you will ever make![p]Keep the smoke risin',
    Jim

• Redpig
    JSlot,
    Thanks for the info. I will try your technique. My wife thinks I'm nuts for paying so much for the BGE. I know it will be money well spent though. I've got a home made smoker now but I don't think it'll compare to the BGE.

• Redpig
    JSlot,
    Thanks for the info. I will try your technique. My wife thinks I'm nuts for paying so much for the BGE. I know it will be money well spent though. I've got a home made smoker now but I don't think it'll compare to the BGE.

• Porkchop
    Porkchop Posts: 155
    i have a ceramic kooker and used to have the ol' homemade double barrel pit. your horizons are about to open wide, my friend. i love being able to just walk away from it, come back, take out my bbq, and eat!
  • Redpig
    Porkchop,
    Thanks for the encouragement. I had a heck of a sales job convincing the wife on spending 700 for a "grill" (as she calls it. haha. Looking forward to doing some ribs today.