Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pit Minder or Digi II

Options
Grillin Guy
Grillin Guy Posts: 302
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My local dealer has a restaurant in his store that cooks on BGE's. I noticed he has the Pit Minder from BBQ Guru instead of the Digi II. Just wondered if any of you use the Pit Minder on your BGE instead of the Digi II. The Pit Minder seems to be about a hundred dollars cheaper. Pros, cons?

Comments

• Boxerpapa
    Options
    I have both. I first bought the PM, in which works good but couldn't get it real accurate like you can the DII. The DII works, IMO better than the Pit Minder. More functions such as dome and food temp, ramping and the opening of the lid...in which I haven't used any of these features. At night, you can see the electonic read outs better than the PM. Also, the leads can with take a higher temperature around 700 degrees or maybe even higher. Great for that 500 degree chicken. If you or anyone else is interested, I'll sell my Pit Minder real cheap. All you need is the fan.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    It seems you answered your own question...

The Pit Minder would be the perfect solution for one who is cooking on the egg all day, dome open & closed often. Needs being a secure steady temp.

For general use, why not have the extra features afforded by the DigiQ2. If nothing else, the meat & food probes and monitoring is a huge plus.

The egg, once stabilized, is very capable of holding its temp during cooks even extremely long cooks.

I guess it is akin to buying a car and saving a lot of money by leaving off the windshield washers, heater, auto trans, power windows, curse control, power locks, air conditioning and on and on.

Both the pit minder & q2 will do a good job and it is up to you if the hundred bucks is worth the flexibility.

GG
  • Grillin Guy
    Options
    Cheap I like....... drop me an email with the price.
  • Grillin Guy
    Options
    Thank's Kent.....You make some good points..... as always.
  • grEGGor
    grEGGor Posts: 109
    Options
    I have the DigiQ II - and it is fantastic. You will not be disappointed!

Greg
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    buying a car and saving a lot of money by leaving off the windshield washers, heater, auto trans, power windows, curse control, power locks, air conditioning

Trust me, my car needs that particular option.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: