Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone Know Of This Plant?

Options
Rascal
Rascal Posts: 3,923
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
They are in an area where there's only indirect sunlight and lots of water from a nearby downspout. They die out in the fall, come back in the summer and are flowering right now. This is on the Suncoast of FL. Any clues out there?

FLPlant1a.jpg

Comments

• Willie
    Willie Posts: 132
    Options
    Rascal,

Looks like a wild flowering sage plant to me, do not know if it is edible however.
    Bon Appetit*
    Willie
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    No but I sure like it. Maybe you should try to dig one up and cultivate them. Cool color leaves.
  • Rascal
    Options
    Yes, they are pretty plants. I guess I'll have to take a picture to a few nurseries to find out what they are. I'd be interested to know if they rejuvinate from their seeds or if the root structure carries them from year to year. With all the shade and water they get, I imagine they'd probably do well in a marsh or swamp setting...
  • Rascal
    Options
    Thank's for your input, I'll be sure to check it out! I wasn't thinking of grillin' them, but who knows!! 8 - )
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    They favor NEW GUINEA impatients.
  • Charleston Dave
    Options
    Some states have extension programs through their state colleges that offer basic agricultural, horticultural, and entomological services to the public. The one here in South Carolina, for example, is run by Clemson University. I can carry a bug, a leaf or a photo into one of these offices and get a free consultation on identification, cultivation, disease, etc. They even offer a program where motivated individuals can earn certification as "Master Gardeners." I see them at farmer's markets occasionally as well. Penn State University does something similar and homeowners can get lawn care questions answered.

I note that the University of Florida has several horticultural sites maintained by its professional staff. You might start with

http://hort.ufl.edu/woody/

which purports to include a reference on groundcover plants.

Hey, your tax dollars are paying for these "eggheads" of a different kind than our forum, so you might as well use their services!

Good luck with your detective project!
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    Familiar looking plant. We have a couple growing in a pot on our deck that looks very similar. Leaves are almost identical, same size, shape, color, and even the little veins (forgive me, I'm no botanist) appear idential...you leaves just look more shiny. Same color scheme in the blossoms, but the blossoms appear to be a different shape, and the blossom bunches are arranged slightly differently. Our plants are a couple feet tall at this point.

Of course, we kept all the little ID tags they stick in the pots at the nursery for all the flowers we bought this year...except this one.

Maybe Nancy (aka Perennial Smoke) will happen by this thread and enlighten us.
    IMG_0042small.jpg