Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE is super tolerant

Jim R.
Jim R. Posts: 103
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Going to be a meatloaf night,nothing special om make up of loaf except read some where about cooking peppers,onion and garlic before folding in mix.Indirect set up with plate setter, foil pan for drippings,loaf set up on foil on grid.Checked loaf and it was at 141 so I moved the polder to insure location and all is well.Went back into house for a while went out to check temp and whoops forgot to put ring back on top,temp gauge pass 750 and around to 100 coming around.Shut down grill with cap and lower vent,few minutes burped well and opened lid and at the moment entire inside of grill was just short of inferno.Pulled the meatloaf off with foil onto plate and closedup!!Meatloaf had some very small charred spots on top and a glaze on the bottom(burnt)Believe it or not it was excellent!!What a cooker!!

Comments

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    JimR,
    Glad it turned out well, it's so easy to forget to put top back on or to re-open the vent if one happens to close it while checking the meat. You might want to calibrate your thermometer being as it went so high.
    New Bob

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Hey Jim,[p]You managed to finish off the meatloaf at 1000 degrees and still enjoy your meal.... hhmmmmm, maybe you're onto a new technique. :~)
    Hey, a little char is good for the gullet.[p]Good to see you post.... How's the island life treating you?
    Beers,
    John[p] [p][p]

• Jim R.
    Jim R. Posts: 103
    WooDoggies,
    Have to say that I was surprised that it was edible it must have not been at that heat long (polder read 175 or so).Finally getting some time from Hospital and Doctors.Wife got sick Good Friday and it was late July before out of hospital and rehab,two other week stays since.
    Any person you care for make sure they don't smoke!!

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Jim,[p]Have to think it was the ceramic barrier of the plate setter that saved your loaf. :~) [p]Seriously, I think there might be something to finishing off meats at a high temp. One time Chris and I let a couple butts get away from us and when they came off the cooker, well, they were a touch on the scorched side...... however, after we pulled them apart the meat was way better than our normal.... go figure. [p]Glad you and your wife are having some time to yourselves... please send my kind regards to Mrs.JimR.[p]John[p]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    WooDoggies,
    I remember that New Holland night
    when the cookers got hot[p]Yooz guys was sleeping
    and drooling some snot[p]Dem butts got away from me
    You saw the look on my face[p]Then when we were done
    We took seventh place.[p]here is a big hee, headed your way.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ