Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Last Night's Endeavour

Options
Cpt'n Cook
Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ma Po Bean Curd
Tried my first Chinese dish on the Egg with great success. Ma Po's is a classic Sichuan dish, hot and spicey.
I used the fire bricks to stabilize the wok and more important as a heat shield for the cook.
TheSetup.jpg
First browned and chopped the hamburg.
TheMeat.jpg
added the spiced seasonings and Chilly Paste then Chicken Broth.
TheSeasonings.jpg
Got boiling real quick and added the Bean curd and the browned hamburg and let reduce a bit , added some corn starch to thicken.
Thesimmer.jpg
Plated
MaPofinished.jpg
Delisioso, even if your not that crazy about bean cord.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    in all honesty if you like to wok on your egg the purchase of a Spider from tjv makes it such a snap. In case you haven't seen one it's a circular piece that your wok rests in and then 5 legs that rest in the indentions of the fire fire. You get plenty of direct heat without the wok rocking.
    IMG_2530.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,766
    Options
    you might just be the first to cook bean curd on the egg, or atleast admit to it. :laugh: looks good, but i would have to pick around the curd
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    If you make it spicy enough you can eat anything. I have a deep fried tofu and shitaki mushroom recipe that I couldn't cook on an egg that even you would love. Never could stand tofu until I tried it.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    fishlessman,

I drained and smoked a brick of it last summer. Tasted better than I've had but the dogs wouldn't eat it.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,766
    Options
    tofu is the only food ive ever eaten that i have no opinion on. do i hate it, do i like it, i dont know. do i want to eat it, well not really, watching a dog walk away from it tells me something
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I like Vietnamese, Thai and Indonesian foods. Tofu needs to be hidden but it really doesn't add anything. The stuff about it taking on the flavour of what it's cooked with has never happened when I have tried using it. At best. IMO. it is a filler. I read somewhere that it gave a decent result when smoked abd what I did turned out OK ...for tofu. I do like edamame though.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    He would also need to get the wok. What he has will not fit. I agree 100%, the spider is the way to go. I think tjv gets $16 for the wok.
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP