Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Picnic shoulder times

Options
Firetruck
Firetruck Posts: 2,679
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I thought the 9# picnic shoulder I put on last night @ 7pm would have been done by now, but 21 hrs later I'm still at 192*. The digi Q held the dome @ 230* all night and through the morning. At 11am it hit a plateau of 188 and it stayed there until 3:15 then jumped up to 192 where it has been for 45min. I just kicked it up to 250* hoping to put a little more pressure on it, as I am afraid of drying out. I've done many butts, but this is the first picnic. Is this normal?

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    yes it proabably is for the temp you had.. i usually go with a 250 dome.. so mine may cook a little faster..

but you should not be worried about drying out..just make sure to wrap in foil and rest for an hour or three before trying to pull...

in fact i am betting the next few degrees should go fairly quickly ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Firetruck
    Options
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    I agree with what Bente said...I like to do my butts or shoulders at 230 grid temp rather than dome temp
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    You may want to pull it from the egg and double wrap it in foil and place in a cooler for an hour or two. It is done. MR BENTE and Wess are correct. Dome temp is not the same as grate temp. In using a Digi, always set up with grate temp. Guru says to clip the pit probe to the meat probe. Works for me. Just my 2 5/8 cents.
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Firetruck
    Options
    I appreciate all the advice, I guess I am use to clipping it on the dome temp probe cause when I do ribs as well as other stuff, I'm trying to get all the meat on the grid I can and figure if I can't get the probe clipped somewhere near the center of the grid It wouldn't be accurate. Hey, guess what, I hear the temp alarm going off as I type!!!! Finally after 23hrs It's done. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Ya know what's really impressive, is that one load of lump would burn that long. There are still 4 or 5 fairly large chunks left.