Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pastrami Question

Options
Boxerpapa
Boxerpapa Posts: 989
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The other day I was bragging to my aunt about how good the pastrami is on the Egg, and now she wants me to make her some. Unfortunatly, she lives about two hours away and was thinking if I cooked it, sliced it and froze it, would it still be tender after it is thawed? Or should I make it the day before I go visit her. May sound like a dumb question, but I want to make some now for myself and figured I could make an extra piece for her and save it.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• EmandM'sDad
    Options
    I haven't tried freezing, but... I made 4 for a party...
    Immediatly after cooking we wrapped tightly in foil.. Frig overnight then sliced and vacuum bagged. Rehaeted all 4 bags in a big pot of simmering water. Turned out great, was very little left. done pulled pork the same way. Good luck,
    mike
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    If you have time, I would make it the day you take it to her. I foil, wrap in newspaper, then an old towel inside of a styro cooler. 2 hours later will be like you just took it off the grill, but it's had time to steam. I added a cup or so of beef broth in the foil.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    Always better fresh but it dies freeze well in Foodsaver bags.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    Options
    ive done it, it freezes ok, but i always reheat by dipping in a hot watered down low sodium chicken broth, or steam so it really doesnt matter for me. i dont eat cold pastrami too often
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    Options
    2004_0122Image0020.jpg
    foodsaver is the way to go
    2004_0122Image0023.jpg
    fukahwee maine

• Boxerpapa
    Options
    Cool slicer. After reading all the talk about slicers here as of lately, was thinking about getting one, but know nothing about them...i.e. brand, motor...etc. What is the make of yours and do you like it? Don't know if I would use it often.
  • Boxerpapa
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I do have another pastrami question. I noticed in the store there are two different corned beef packages: the "flat" and "round" cuts. Is one better than the other? I bought the "flat" thinking it might come out a little more tender. Thanks again.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    several of us bought these ritters years ago during a close out, i dont think they are made anymore. i use mine about once or twice a month, i make my own roast beef for weeklong fishing trips, the pastrami, leftover ham. just lately ive been slicing up drycured meats that ive found locally as well as cheese. this weekend it was drycured coppa and chorizzo sliced thin with olive oil and squeezed lemon drizzled on it, with some good bread i can make a meal out of it (i guess the italians serve it just before the meal as part of an antipasto).
    fukahwee maine

• bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    I am doing my first in a few days. Did the water soaking thang, now I am in the rub wrapped in plastic thang. Did the thirdeye recipe with DP steak rub. I am recording with pics. Will post when done.
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Gunnar
    Options
    You're going to love it. I made it three weeks ago and I'm ready to do it again. The wife says it's too soon.
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    OK, when was the last time you listened to your wife?
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Gunnar
    Options
    More often than I should admit.