Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dome Temp Revisited

Options
Wardster
Wardster Posts: 1,006
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, at the risk of starting a debate...[p]If I am to cook, wings per say, and it calls for 300* for 1 hour, flipping every 15 min. I get the egg to hold 300* for a while, then throw the wings on. Now, the heat is sheilded by the food so it does not remain as hot at the dome thermometer as it is at the grill. Do I keep the top and bottom vents where I had them to maintain the 300* or do I adjust to get the temp back up to 300*? Wouldn't that make the grill time much higher?[p]Fire away.....
Apollo Beach, FL

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Wardster,
    The ceramic holds heat pretty well if you got the cooker up to temp and stabilized it. Adding a dozen or so wings and closing the top with the original settings will bring the temp back pretty close and pretty soon to what it was. If you add so many wings that the air flow is substantially altered, then you might need to open the top more. But the settings prior should be close. When doing wings, I close the vent after I open the dome so the fire doesn't get hotter while I am flipping and saucing the wings. Avoid much hotter than 350-375 or a nasty grease fire will start and you will have a real grease fire problem. [p]Tim

• Dean
    Dean Posts: 29
    Options
    Wardster,[p]A great question; one I also think about. Too bad not much input. My gut says don't crank it up any higher once it's at, and been holding at, designated temp.[p]Dean