Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need help with Fattie

Options
shaunmac
shaunmac Posts: 17
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just picked up 2.25 lb. of fresh ground sausage and am looking for a Fattie recipe to try. This is my first fattie. Thanks for the help.
Shaun

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i always suggest people go to wess b's site because that is where i learned to make them

http://www.wessb.com/Cooks/fatty/fattys.htm

good luck it is pretty simple i like them cold :evil:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Crimsongator
    Options
    Form into log like the types that come in the grocery case. Season the outside with your favorite rub. Cook indirect at 275 until center reaches 170. Pull and rest for about 30 minutes.

You can get creative and stuff the center with things. It is all personal preference with fatties!
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    The pre-prepare tubes of sausage hold together better than fresh. I've had better luck when I've formed the fresh wrapped in plastic, and chilled it over night. But chilling a few hours in the fridge unwrapped helps too.

If stuffing, go easy on the cheese and peppers, or whatever you choose as a filling. It tends to expand, pop any seam open, and bubble out.

Most any rub works well. I do them indirect, dome 325 - 350, turning a few times, till interior is 165. Time depends a lot on the thickness of the roll, & the amount of moisture in the ground meat.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I did one the other night. I coated it with Maple syrup and then I put DP Swamp Venom on it. I cooked it indirect at 325 until it was 170 internal. I let it cool and wrapped it in foil. It was my lunch today and will be tomorrow's lunch also... :lol: