Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking Pastrami

Options
Aledo Green Dreggon
Aledo Green Dreggon Posts: 134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My pastrami is on the egg now. I am using Grandpas Grub's recipe. Link to Recipe

I have the placesetter in for an indirect cook. My dome temp is at 285 though. Am I too high for the meat to be tender? I had a rough time keeping my egg going this morning, took me 4 times to light - twice trying the oil & paper method, twice with my electric start... so I had the fire blazing the last time before I shut the lid. I waited for the temp to stabilize before I put on the meat, but am worried it is still a bit too high. Later I will post my pictures but my camera battery went dead and is charging. My bottom vent is about a nickel width open - 1/8th, and the daisy is opened slightly more than that. Am I on track? I have had it on for about 30 minutes and it has already gone up 20* internal.

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Hello, the recipe is thirdeye's Playing with Fire and Smoke.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/05/beef-pastrami.html

My only part in that recipe is that I love to eat the results. Please give the credit to thirdeye.

The bottom vent sounds correct. An open daisy can mean anything. With normal lump I would close the slider and open the petals about 1/3 to 1/2. Your temp should settle down to about 250° - 280°.

I follow the temps in thirdeye's method.

Possibly your lump was moist/wet. With the problem you had lighting I would keep an eye on the egg once in a while for during the cook.

I really don't think there is going to be much of a problem if you are even at 300° but I would close down the daisy a little to slowly bring the temp down somewhat.

GG
  • Aledo Green Dreggon
    Options
    Cool, thank you. I saw the watermark on the picture at that link and thought it was your recipe as well. So thank you Thirdeye.

We have had rain for about 16 hours straight so humidity could have easily soaked into my lump. I have my egg on a table with wheels, and I store it in my garage, but it is still very wet around.

Am I right to subtract roughly 25 from dome temp to get grate temp?
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Humidity, so far, hasn't been a problem here, but I would think if your egg is closed it shouldn't be much of a problem.

Out here 30% humidity and we are all complaining. We have to use chap stick and lotion.

The dome to grate temp for me is variable. The begining of a long cook I can have as much as 35° diff.

When the cook goes longer the difference gets smaller. Sometimes I can be within 10° maybe less.

For guessing purposes in the beginning use 25° towards the end use 15° and that should be close enough.

Our 'non top of the line' ovens in the house are way off sometimes as much as 60°.

As for the watermark on the picture, it is only for the picture...

GG