Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first cook..Help!!

Options
newegg
newegg Posts: 78
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a chicken that I cut for Spatchcock chicken. I want to fix corn on the cob and also baked potatoes. How can I do them all at the same time? or do I do them separately? I am nervous but anxious to try and do it. Please, any help will be appreciated. :ohmy:

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    There are several ways to ways to cook this.

I cook the spatchcock at 400° or 500° for one hour.

Get your egg stabilized at 400° for indirect plate setter up and a drip pan. Also, put in the flavor wood if you are going to use it.

When ready to cook put on the chicken along with the potatoes. EVOO with salt - don't puncture, no foil just the oiled and salted spud's.

After 15 minutes put your corn, still in the husk unopened. Cut off any excess silk leaving a small amount still above the cob. Cut any excess off of the stock, but don't cut to the cob.

At about 30 minutes check the spuds to make sure they are not getting too dark on the underside. If they are then rotate the potatoes.

I put the ears in a bucket of water or in the sink.

When there is 22 to 25 minutes left of the cook, I put on the corn. I hold the corn over the sink/bucket to drain for a minute or two, then on the grate or a second raised grate.

I also check the spuds again to make sure the underside is not burning.

Wait until the hour is up and enjoy your meal.

Some folks will turn the chicken to get a more done skin. If you are going to turn the chicken, do it just before you put on the corn. I never turn a whole or spatchcock chicken.

Let us know how it all turns out.

GG
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    Puncture your potatoes with a fork and cook with your chicken at 400 dome temp, indirect for around an hour. I personally prefer to cook my corn cleaned, direct, at around 400 dome temp turning as it browns slightly. Corn usually takes around 10 to 15 minutes. If you cover your chicken with foil after the cook you will have plenty of time to cook your corn separately. I find the leaves on the corn to really stink up everything in the grill and all they really do is insulate the corn making it take longer to cook. Good luck!
  • newegg
    Options
    a little confused. do I put the corn on after 15 minutes then take it off and soak in water? I am not sure about the direction for the corn.