Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do you clean your egg?

Options
dougemsmacks
dougemsmacks Posts: 152
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well I ran it @ 650 for a whole batch of lump. When the grease in the gasket started boiling out I thought I should close it down. I wanted to get the odor out so I could cook pizza and other things without that flavor in the food, so I kept on going. It wasn't too long after I saw smoke from the dome :unsure: I figured I already ate the gasket and kept on going till it burned out.

The next day I had a fire box and ring that where pure white no grease and no gasket I also had a cracked fire grate :whistle:

I would like to keep it clean but my approach seems to flawed I could use some advise :)

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    That's the way ya do it. Burn it til the smoking stops.

650 is a bit high, but it worked so run with it.

If there is some dried on stuff in the dome you can use a ball of crumbled foil to scratch it off.
  • dougemsmacks
    Options
    Yeah but I don't want to do a gasket and a grate every time :laugh:
  • Fidel
    Options
    I didn't realize you lost the gasket. I misread your post.

The fire grate is odd. I've got a small crack in my large grate between two of the holes and it is over 6 yrs old and has quite a few hundred hours at nuclear temps on it.
  • dougemsmacks
    Options
    O.K. I get it tin foil and not too hot

Do you have a problem with the chicken building up too much grease? I am trying low and slow and there seems to be more than when I was cooking higher.
  • Fidel
    Options
    I don't cook chicken at lower temps any more. Lowest I cook chicken is 350, and that is b/s breasts.

Parts and wings I do at 425+

And I always use a drip pan with chicken (except b/s)
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Personally, I think you ran it too hot..500 for a hour or 2 should burn out anything in your egg...
  • dougemsmacks
    Options
    That's what my dealer said, I probably should have asked first :pinch:

I will say I am happy with them as they took care of me on the grate.
  • dougemsmacks
    Options
    That is what i thought, It's cast iron and I see people going very high compared to me. I went to the dealer and they gave me one in warr.

I watched it and the highest I got was 680 dome, since I am new I just figured 680 dome may be 900 - 1100 pit and it just cracked from the high heat.
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    you can run 650-700°regularly to clean with out killing your gasket if you clean often... it was not the heat from the lump but the burning melted grease running down the dome... i did 900 for a whole load of south american lump that i wanted to get rid of .... really cool jet blue flames > 2 years of melted platsic/creosote everywhere... 8 hours to clean and re-gasket now i just let smaller amounts of lump burn out regularly.
    bill
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Both my large and small are due for cleanings, particularly the large. So I guess 500deg for 2hrs.....
    Should be no gasket issues with this?
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    i would remove as much gunk as possible with a plastic scraper spatula.from the dome ..carefully, and then go with your plan.. i think the aluminum foil works poorly on grease , fine on ash... i had a very thick layer of crud .. the grease in the base did not cause me a problem.. but if you have enough there may be craking of the grate / firebox issues.. 900° is really cool in the dark. really sucks in the morning ...
  • Charleston Dave
    Options
    Just wondering aloud here, as I have not tried it...

Has anybody tried using a small steam-cleaner to blast off ash and grease?

I'm thinking of one of the small hand-held Shark units, or something similar.

Generally with this kind of cleaner no soap or solvent is needed; the steam does all the work.

Would there be a risk of damaging the ceramic? [url][/url]
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    What Fidel said, use a drip pan. Done many clean burns and never had a problem with the gasket but I have an older egg.
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Gasket melting sounds like something that would happen with an Egg that hadn't been cooked on enough. That shouldn't be your problem so go figure..

I always hold the temp around 650 when I'm cleaning it and have gone higher (tho probably not the full time). I never scrape out anything, I only use the self-cleaning feature and it works great with no muss, no fuss. I haven't tried cleaning the dome-are you supposed to do that?

For your next gasket, you might contact RRP and see if he has anything.
  • Fidel
    Options
    Foil works great after the burn - not before.
  • momcooks
    Options
    You're supposed to clean them? :unsure:
  • Eggatorium
    Options