Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribeye ????? from newbie egghead

Options
rambeaux
rambeaux Posts: 27
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've just recently bought a large egg and haven't had much time to use it, but I'm getting ready to turn it up and dive in. Tomorrow I'm going to grill ribeyes, and I need tips from start (marinades/rubs & prep) to finish(temp/sear time/dwell. My steaks will be 1 1/4" ribeyes. I want these to turn out great, so I'm asking you guys who I think are experts through practice, and generously share you ideas and knowlege. Thanks, and wish me luck.

Comments

• Big Papa
    Options
    All you need is Salt and Pepper with steaks like that.

Should be awesome!!!!

Chef C
  • CONSIGLIEREG8R
    Options
    Watch the Rathbun's video-2-2-2. Watch the backdraft. enjoy. Salt, pepper fire.
  • Aledo Green Dreggon
    Options
    I like to mix a little sugar, little pepper, and some hickory smoked salt. The sugar gives a nice caramelized finish on it. However the last time I had a steak was before I got my egg. So it may provide the smoke from now on.
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    IMG_0081.jpg
    Sear for 2-min. at 650*
    IMG_0083.jpg
    Take off the grill, rest until you get the temp down to 450*. Roast for 4-min a side
    IMG_0092.jpg
    Med rare.

Ross
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    These were 1 1/4" prime cut bone in ribeyes...pepper only and seared for about 90 secs per side at 650, rested for 20 mins or until between 400 and 450 dome on the egg... about 5 mins before putting back on..rubbed one side with DP cowlick and the other side with DP raisin the steaks..roast to preferred temp...remove and either sprinkle with blue cheese or butter with cracked pepper mixed in...tent and rest for 5-10 mins and enjoy!
    RibEyes001.jpg
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    On something of that thickness, I'd recommend what has become known as the reverse sear (or reverse TRex.) If you have an instant read thermometer it would help a lot (ping Mollyshark for the best deal on the best thermometer available.) [The TRex method is where you sear first, let it rest, and put it back on to roast once the Egg has cooled a bit. But the reverse method is easier if only because its easier to drive the temps up than to bring them back down.

Basically, get your Egg to about 300-350 dome and roast your ribeyes until they reach 100 +/- degrees internally. Pull them from Egg and open the lower vent completely and the upper daisywheel also completely. Let the temp climb to the 500-600 range (higher is OK but you may not feel particularly comfortable this early in your cooking. Throw the steaks back on for about 90 seconds a side, turning 90 degrees once at 45 seconds to get the nicer sear marks. Pull and let rest for 7-10 minutes.

This should produce a nice medium rare steak. If you want it more done, leave them on longer during the first step, maybe to 110 or so. Remember that the inside will continue to cook while they are waiting the sear and will cook after the sear during the rest period.
  • kook
    kook Posts: 14
    Options
    when ya'll refer to "resting", do ya'll pull them from the eg and rest them in a platter or plate? covered or uncovered? Curious...