Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Doing some cooking

ric3677
ric3677 Posts: 278
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, the rain started out slow but after a bit needed to be taken care of. Being in the construction business has it's advantages. I whipped up a redneck awning

redneckawning.jpg

rainready.jpg

cooked up some Antelope burger meat loaf, complete with cheddar cheese and pepperjack and raising the steaks dizzy rub on top. Best I have had in a long time. We also had some left over apple pie beans from a cook over the weekend. YOu will notice that there aren't many beans left.
dinner-2.jpg

then to top it off I got the Butts on with the new Stoker. The review is out on that, I didn't have to get up in the middle of the night...but then I am having some issues that I am not used to. Part of the learning curve I guess.
buttson.jpg

More pics of the butts to follow.

Have a great day......Rick

Comments

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Food looks great! I like a man who isn't afraid to put ice in his wine! :silly: What issues did you have with the stoker? I love mine.
  • ric3677
    The dome temp being lower than the pit temp...doesn't seem right to me. The butts seem to be cooking slower than normal so I upped the grill temp til the dome is at 250 where I am used to it being and now they are starting to cook better. I am wondering if it would be better to put the sensor in the hole where the reg thermo is and set it for 250 there.

Rick
  • Big'un
    I'm not sure that the temp sensor will fit in that hole. The difference in temps could also be the thermal mass of cold meat being added. It will catch up eventually as the meat heats up in temp. Also, How open is your daisy wheel; Mine stays just about shut durinng the whole cook. the positive pressure from the fan always find a way out. HTH. Post some pics of the finished butts. After all, who doesn't like looking at good lookin' butt!
  • ric3677
    As promised More pics

butt2.jpg

And one more view

butt2.jpg

And this says it all.....

Ready.jpg

You will forgive me if I dont' take any more, I think I will be busy serving. LOL

Rick
  • Big'un
    That's some purty butt you got going on there! :woohoo: Did you use a rub at all? it looks like you may have used a light rub. They do look good!
  • ric3677
    Yes, Dizzy Dust coarse. But...as with any cook, I had one problem and this one was that I didn't give the butts enough time to thaw....so they didn't get the correct treatment. I will say that nobody complained tonight at the dinner...LOL

Rick
  • Big'un
    They never do! ;) Haha