Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Careful with those ashes

Stanley
Stanley Posts: 623
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
In my youth, I caused the incineration of a trash can by disposing of BBQ ashes I thought were cold. Luckily, the can was away from the house and caused no further damage. I haven't made that mistake again. These guys weren't quite as lucky.

http://www.portlandtribune.com/news/story.php?story_id=122092421433692100

Comments

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Hey I did the same thing when I was very young, I thought I was helping my dad clean up the BBQ ashes from the night before, so I wrapped them up and tossed them in a pile of garden debris. Well later about an hour we had quite the fire. To this day my parents still think I was trying to burn the house down, they just would not listen to my story, go figure.
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    I burned out a vacuum cleaner bag cleaning out my old Ashley wood burning stove years ago. Ashes seemed cold at the time.
  • Stanley,

Amen to that. Believe me house fires are not fun.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I don't clean out my egg ashes till I'm ready for the next cook, and I have a metal bucket for the fireplace.
  • I had a goof of my own a few months back. I was bringing the weed burner to the egg for a good cleaning. I had barely pointed the thing at the egg. Realized I had lump in there and scooped it out. Seemed like nothing had lit up in the brief exposure to the flame. Well I had put it back in a lump back and went inside to take a shower after cleaning the egg. Girlfriend came upstairs and asked if there was a reason I had lit a bag of charcoal in the driveway. By the time I got down there you could hardly tell there was a bag of charcoal there at some point. Lucky that is all I lost.