Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

which side of lump fence are you on

Options
tjv
tjv Posts: 3,830
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
when adding lump, do you fill the firebox/ring and use for multiple cooks OR do you use just use enough lump for each cook.

I typically fill the firebox/ring but been trying to bust that habit and switch to the lump per cook method. Easier to get couple more inches of spacing between the grid and lump with per cook method. I'm finding out though some old habits are hard to break.......dang it!
www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.

Comments

• Wasted Words
    Options
    I follow the method of filling the firebox for multiple cooks. I guess I have not developed the skills to estimate the amount needed for a single cook. I'm also typically cooking (especially during football season) all day so that makes estimates difficult.
  • milesofsmiles
    Options
    I top up almost every cook, also about every third or forth cook I pull out all used lump and take out the innards and clean out the base. It's just my thing. Thanks for the WOO II med. Any more Med. stuff on the drawing board ? See you at the " O " fest. Miles out.
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    Work smart, not hard..bubba-izum Fill it to the top. On the next cook, add some if you need it. You will know when, but after a while, take it apart and clean out the ash.
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Austin Smoker
    Options
    Normally a fill and relight guy...but recently have been doing more cooks where I want to go direct, but with some distacne to the grid....so, I'm a fence sitter.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    If I know it will be a short cook I'll just rake the old lump to the side leaving a nice clean spot on the grate. Then I put enough new lump in to do the job. Somehow, it seems to work well from the very start. The new lumb is large enough to keep the grate clear so it gets to temperature quickly.

Sometimes I time and measure so well that I just let what's left burn itself out, then do a thorough cleaning for the next time.

If I even 'think' I will be doing a long low 'n slo cook I will pull all the lump out, sort it and put it on top of new lump.

But then I'm a very smart Egghead, except when I'm running on stupid.

Spring "Taking A Shortcut To The Other Side Of The Road" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • FrankC
    FrankC Posts: 416
    Options
    I have a large and a medium; I usually take the unused lump from the large, and tranfer to the medium, then fill the large with a fresh bag of RO lump. Then me and my 5 year old son clean the ash with a shop vac. He's turned out to be quite the good helper!

fc
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I made that switch you speak of earlier this year. I try to build my fire or add just enough to cook what I am cooking - give or take.

I have been getting much better results with most cooks my having the food as far from the lump as possible.

There are exceptions - steaks, chops, etc. but when doing chicken or shrimp or fish I am trying to raise the grid and lower the lump. I am happy with the results.

Of course, this is nowhere near an exact science. Sometimes there is a lot of lump left from a long slow cook.

I have stopped filling it even to the top of the firebox unless I will need that much lump to accomplish the task at hand.

I hope this makes sense.
  • Pdub
    Pdub Posts: 234
    Options
    After chatting with folks at Waldorf I switched to the fill as much as need be method. Or at least attempting too. If you get the lump dirty with one cook there is less lump to burn off to get a clean fire for the next cook.
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    I prefer to put in only as much lump as I think I'm going to use for that cook, but I generally overestimate and wind up with a fair amount left that I use on the subsequent cook.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I fill to the bottom of the spider.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Usually top of the fire ring or top of the fire box on first fill.

If I don't think I will need any more lump, lately, I do nothing and just relight and continue with subsequent cooks until I get at or just a little below the fire box air holes.

The large will usually go from 3 to 5 cooks, mini will go 2 or 3 and maybe 4 cooks.

Medium, still on the dead list.

Small I don't use very often but I would guess 2 or 3 cooks.

On subsequent cooks I can usually get higher temps if I don't stir the lump around.

GG
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I do my longer, bigger cooks on the weekend, with at least a full firebox in both Eggs. Then, for the shorter after-work weekday cook, I just stir and light remnant, adding fresh if needed. Clean Saturday morning, start over...
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Lately on subsequent burns I gently press the upper layers of lump to make sure there are no 'caves' below the surface. But, no aggressive siring of the lump and I don't worry if there is ash up in the lump.

I seem to get better start performance and higher temps this way and very seldom have to use a wiggle stick.

Except for the mini I very seldom remove any furniture out from inside the egg.

GG
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    I most often fill...
    If I know I have enough left from a previous cook for the next cook I let go, but I guess I'm from the school of "fill er' up"
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Options
    I usually fill it up over the used stuff. If I'm doing a short, med temp cook, then I don't add any more , just work the ash down, and wiggle stick it prior to lighting up. Used lump works fine unless I need to go to 500°, as in pizza, then I just add fresh to the fire ring and start over again.
  • Retired RailRoader
    Options
    Tom, that's an easy one. I fill the egg up for multiple cooks and adjust the cooking space I need by using something called an "Adjustable Rig ". I think the guy who sells it is on this forum all the time. Wait a minute, isn't that you hahahaha
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    for long inderect cooks the egg is usually full halfway up the ring. for direct cooks i do vary the amount of lump depending on what im cooking. the biggest use lately with my small is to hold excess lump taken from the large when i dont want to use much lump for cooking wings, ribs, and this weekend a butt direct on your adjustable rack. ill have the direct butt cook posted soon so that you can see what i mean, you use very little lump doing direct low and slows, maybe a third as much compaired to an overnight inderect cook.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it