Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is a first good recipe, for the 1st time

Options
Big Papa
Big Papa Posts: 220
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Picking up and seting the Large BGE up today.
WHat is a good start out recipe to try for a Newbie?

I am a Chef and know how to cook and grill.
I just need some pointers on the BGE style.

thanks for your help.

Chef C

Comments

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Cheeck out the cookbook/recipes option at the top of the page for some good ideas. Happy Eggin'!
  • rockytopsc
    Options
    I started easy: hamburgers.
    Now in 3 weeks have tried: steak, pizza, drunk chicken, wings, etc.
    Today we will try a pork tenderloin.
  • pouchman
    Options
    Chef C, I took am in the industry, welcome! It may take you a a couple times before you feel comfortable with regulating the temps. Depending on what kind of lump you use, will determine how fast it burns. There are a lot of brands out there & they all burn differently. Some of the guys on this web site have reviews on lump (check the (Naked Wiz web page) he has done an unbelievable job, reviewing lump with pictures!)
    I would suggest chicken. I like to get skin on breasts, marinade them in Italian Dressing. I then cook them direct, skin down to get a nice crispy skin, The I put my plate setter in, cool down the egg to 250 ish & let the magic of convection work. The breast come out so juicy, you can fill up cups of juices!
    Enjoy! Where do you work & live?
    Jeff
  • do what you are comfortable and familiar with. keep it simple. learn temperature control. if you haven't used lump charcoal before, learn to wait till the smoke clears prior to putting on the meat. the egg is just another heat source, but a much more versatile heat source. you need to decide if you want to smoke, grill, roast, or bake and set your temperature and set-up accordingly.

here's my first cook in sep 06... i didn't wait long enough for the charcoal to burn cleanly and they tasted like a starter cube

27sep06-005.jpg

here's a cook i did recently

crownroast-046.jpg

tasted much better :woohoo:
  • Big Papa
    Options
    thanks forthe info.

I live in the Minneapolis area.

Been working at some very nice Fine dining establishments.
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    chicken.jpg

my first cook , oven stuffer roaster above a drip pan, no water, @350 20 minutes per pound [till the thingy pops up] just like the oven. i suggest this simple cook so you will appreciate how moist the egg keeps your food and it is a forgiving cook that will allow you to work on temp control as well. my kids were afraid to eat is as it was so juicy they thought is was not fully cooked.. have not used the oven since.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Before you light your BGE, you must read this: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/flash.htm
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    will you be cook'n one of those lovelies next weekend, on Saturday, perhaps in a parking lot somewhere :) ?
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I'd suggest something that can be cooked in the 300 - 400 degree range. Getting the hang of temperature control is essential. Fairly small changes in the vent setting can make a big difference. And, the fire can build up quite a bit of momentum going up, so you want to start shutting vents before reaching the temperature. Above 450, the temperature can zoom way up in just a few minutes.

My first was some "boneless babybacks," just marinated for a few hours. Cooked indirect over a fire brick split. Was quite good, altho the bit that was just over the edge of the brick got burnt.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    do wings, not hard cook but good practice controlling the temperature, can do em direct indirect, but recommend raised grid either method.

flatironandribeyes4a.jpg
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Welcome Chef. You'll have no problem with using your egg. Once you get the hang of temperature control your learning curve will go up sharply. Except for using very very high temperatures in the beginning there's not much else to warn you about (gasket break-in). I had lots of trouble getting temperature control down in the beginning, so I did some "air cooks" just to see what it took to stabilize the different temperatures. It's easy now, but I thought I'd never get it at first. Have fun, and good luck. BTW my first cook was marinated, skinless, boneless chicken breasts.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Welcome to the wonderful world of Egging.

DSC04587a.jpg

I usually recommend pork steaks for first cook because they can be grilled or barbecued. They are really hard to screw up. Tri-tip would be my second choice. With either, you have a few options for set-ups, they both can tolerate a variety of cooking temps and finish temps too. Depending on how you choose to cook them, they take just long enough (less than 1 or up to 4 hours) to allow you to play with your new toy.

Steaks are wonderful, but need a higher temp fire and the cook is over in a few minutes. Chicken can take some practice to match the doneness with crisp skin you may expect. Ribs require longer cook times (5 to 7 hours) and a few practice runs are a good idea to get them way you like them. Butts and brisket take a real long time and you need to work a little on fire control before jumping in on a 12+ hour cook.

There is a link to my cookin' site below with some tips and recipes including pork steaks.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Boneless baby backs? Never heard of them. Clue me Daddy.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery