Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

newbie brisket failure twice

Options
traif boy
traif boy Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i have had no luck on briskets. So your advice would be helpful. Here is what i did and it came out very dry.

Costco 7.5 lb
pit temp 250 (digiq2)
plattesetter with waterpan on it.
cooked till 165 than foiled and cooked till 192 and removed.

Placed in dryice cooler for one hour

used mustard and worstershire and dryrub with 50 percent turbino sugar.

I have been dispointed that i can't get this correct. If anybody has had great luck on brisket on the xlarge green egg let me know. I would greatly appreciate it

Comments

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    Try cooking the next one by feel instead of temperature. I leave my briskets on until they cannot be picked up with a fork without a serious threat of falling apart, have not stuck a thermometer in one for years (this was born of having no luck with temperature cooking).
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • traif boy
    Options
    do you foil and what temp?
  • traif boy
    Options
  • traif boy
    Options
  • traif boy
    Options
  • Tripmaker
    Options
    Please describe too dry. Brisket will not be jucy like a rare steak. The briskets I have cooked turned out slightly moist but very tender. If your's is more like jerky than brisket try taking it out at 185. My successes have been on a Brinkman offset smoker. I try my first on the egg next week. I don't foil, I like a dry bark.

jim
  • Zippylip
    Options
    My method is unconventional & perhaps much maligned, but what I do is smoke the brisket indirect at 225 for 5 hours. I then put it in a foil pan & cover the top with foil. I don't add anything to it (it is mustard & dry rub rubbed at the outset however, sometimes 24 hours before smoking if I am particularly on my game). Then I put it back on the egg for another 5 hours before I check it for the first time. It is usually done at this point (again, unable to pick it up with one fork without tearing...). I have posted this method before & it has been correctly pointed out that every cut of meat is different, temps are different, & other variables exist that all factor into the final product. I understand all that but this actually works for me consistently. Give it a try :)
    happy in the hut
  • Zippylip
    Options
    Jim, do you get any crumbling around the edges & surface areas?
    happy in the hut
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I'm pretty much a novice with brisket, so I'll mostly offer you some encouragement. I've only done 6 on the Egg, each has been better than the last, the last one was almost good. So 2 failures is where I was a few years ago.

I've never foiled, and usually don't remove from the Egg till they are 195. Then I foil, towel wrap, and place in cooler for an hour or so. Usually there is a little bit of fluid puddled in the foil when I open it. However, sliced brisket seems to dry really quickly, so I have some thin hot sauce ready on the side.

I usually do fat side up. That, to me, seems to hold the moisture in, sort of like a blanket.

Also, bigger and fatter briskets do better. I've had poor results with briskets under 7 lbs, and ones that had too much of the fat cap removed.

What's a dryice cooler? One that is airtight enough to use dry ice?
  • Tripmaker
    Options
    Yes, nice crisp dry bark. Pulling off the loose pieces is the best part of the brisket in my opinion.
  • Zippylip
    Options
    I saw that on the food network, one of those shows where they go to a bbq restaurant somewhere & showcase their food. This one particular one is known for its burnt'ends sandwich, pile of crispy bark drowned in bbq sauce on some white bread, yummy :P
    happy in the hut
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    I do flats:

1. 5.5 lbs or larger, Choice grade or better, uniform thickness and shape if possible, continuous fat cap if possible;
    2. Trim fat from meat (top) side. On fat cap side and fatty sides trim to 1/8”+;
    3. Rub up the night before or just before putting on the egg. Use mustard or Worcestershire sauce as a moisture base. Worcestershire adds a spicy flavor. If rubbing up the night before, wrap in saran wrap, fat side up in pan and frig it. Pull it from the frig right after you fired up the egg and rub up again if desirable.
    4. Set-up is raised grid and indirect, make sure the indirect piece is under the entire flat for protection, use foil if pan runs short on coverage. Fat side of flat toward the back of egg. Once on the grid, no need to flip it. Might spin the grid depending on how fire is burning.
    5. Temp is 235ish grid
    6. Wood smoke is pecan, hickory, oak with some apple or cherry at the beginning. Can add during cook too. I prefer pecan with apple and add during the cook.
    7. Most of the bark formation will occur during the second half of the cook. Don’t be surprised if the flat releases moisture on top half way into to cook.
    8. When the flat leaves the plateau stage, either wrap in foil or continue to cook unfoiled. Foiling may cause loss of bark formation or soft bark. Can add broth or other liquid if desirable.
    9. Pull when internal temp reaches 195-200 degrees internal. Over 205 and you could end up with pot roast texture, stringy.
    10. Foil and place in cooler for minimum one hour to mellow. The 12-18 pack carry coolers are a good fit with couple towels for added insulation.
    11. When ready to serve can add small amount of foil juice to the bbq sauce for added flavor. Test sample is a good idea.
    12. If possible, slice as close to the actual serving time. Brisket dries out fast. Slice against the grain, 1/4-3/8 inch slices is a good thickness.
    13. If the flat is tough, chop and mix with bbq sauce. Tell significant other, you were in the mood for chop sandwiches!

couple flats on xl
    brisketflats06.jpg
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • traif boy
    Options
    do you have fat cap up or down durring the cook
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    fat cap down with brisket cooks on the egg.
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Daddyo
    Daddyo Posts: 224
    Options
    I usually cook a butt and brisket at the same time, with the butt on a raised grid above the brisket (raised grid is just an old round weber grid held up with a couple of bricks). I never open the lid when I cook, but in my imagination I can see that butt dripping on the brisket throughout the cook. You may not need that much meat, but I've got to tell you I've never failed at brisket with a butt on top. Usually around 225 cooking temp. Pull at 195 - they usually get done at the same time.

Leave some fat on the brisket. I get mine at an old fashion butcher shop and they trim it to my desire. I like about 1/4 inch of fat, which reduces to near nothing over an 18 hour cook. I get the whole brisket, called a packers cut. It just barely fits inside a large egg at the start of the cook, but shrinks down plenty during the cook.

No water pan. Just mustard coated with Butch's Magic Dust, or some rub of my mixing (usually Rendezvous rub or Rub #1 from the Bill Wise cookbook).