Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Canadian bacon done

Options
SSN686
SSN686 Posts: 3,504
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Morning All:

As I thought, it took about two hours to get above 150 internal on the bacon makin'!

Here they are just before taking them off...
P9060006.jpg

And a close-up of one of them sliced...
P9060004.jpg

Taste was basically the same as all of the other times I have made it. Not salty at all. I followed the Dizzy Pig recipe as per their website DP Recipe, though I did have it sit in the cure for 8 days...a little long, but it doesn't seem to have affected it at all. The only other "difference" was putting a different rub on the outside of each section (see preparation post HERE for details)

Two of the sections have been food-savered (is that a word) and into the freeze for later. The other one will be part of tomorrow's breakfast.

Once I finished the bacon, I put on a boneless ham to heat for dinner and a couple of baked sweet potatoes (no pictures).

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

Comments

• bitslammer
    Options
    As I said in the other post hand over the contraband. I've got the RCMP on the horn and they've got their horses ready to go. :P
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    That looks real good. For all the years I've made it I've never used a liquid cure. I might have to give it a whirl.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Nice Jay.
    What rub did you like best? I didn't use any rub the last time I made some. I'm thinking maybe Mary's Cherry, it is a real sweet rub.
    How thin can you slice it with your slicer?

Mike
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Those look great Jay. Like Mike asked,,if you tasted them all did you have a favorite??
  • SSN686
    Options
    Morning Mike:

I didn't taste all three before sealing two of them away. The one we did eat some of was the one with the Cow Lick. You get a little salt taste from the cured meat and bit of a bite from the rub. The last time I made some I didn't add any rubs before cooking, but wanted to try something different this time. I would guess that the Raging River would be a bit sweet and not sure about the one with the Shakin' the Tree. As we eat the other two I'll let you know how they tasted.

So far we have only sliced it with a knive and those were pretty thick. If I were to use my slicer, I can make them real thin, but I like a thick slice myself.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• SSN686
    Options
    Morning Pat:

See my reply to CWM.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• SSN686
    Options
    Morning bitslammer:

Sorry this contraband is staying in the States! :evil:

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• SSN686
    Options
    Morning thirdeye:

This is at least the 4th time I have done this using the Dizzy Pig recipe and find it to be very simple, so I doubt if I would change. Just mix/cook the brine for the cure, let it cool, put the loins in for at least 5 days and then smoke it. Easy as can be.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• bitslammer
    Options
    SSN686 wrote:
    Morning bitslammer:

Sorry this contraband is staying in the States! :evil:

Hey it's not even close to mornign ?!?!?!?!

I'm in the 1st US time zone so you can't be ahead of me unless you're really egging from a 686. If so how do you vent the smoke????
  • EmandM'sDad
    Options
    Jay,
    Looks great!! I'm getting ready to make some myself. I like KSCheryl's recipe From Eggoberfest last year. Lots of maple syrup. I inject and cure this week, to smoke next weekend. We'll be foodsavering our also.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    Looks great. Beautiful color.

I have some in the freezer and that is just a little too far away for Eggs Benedict today.
  • SSN686
    Options
    Morning bitslammer:

It's always morning somewhere! :laugh:

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Pork Butt Mike
    Options
    Jay they look real good. The ones I made came out good but I screwed up and sliced them to thin. Like you said in your other post thick is a lot better.