Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What all can you do with the plate setter

Options
Cadfael
Cadfael Posts: 24
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just got the plate setter with pizza in mind but as I read some things on these forums it looks like it has lots of uses for indirect heat cooking.

So - help a newbie out - what do you use your plate setter for and what's the set up?

Comments

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    The list is very long, but put simply, any food that you don't want licked by direct flame should have the setter as a means to divert the flame. It also creates more of a convection atmosphere, more even heat, as in an oven. You would either put it feet up (& perhaps add a drip pan on top) then put the grid on top of that for a butt, or feet down with a stone on top for pizza. It can also be used to caramalize sauces on meats when you don't want too much heat to burn the high sugar content. If you understand the basic concept, you can then apply it hundreds of ways. That is part of the fun of the egg, experiment & have some fun & it'll all fall into place as you go ;)
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    Options
    Check out the Naked Whiz site. It will tell you alot.

Walt
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    I'm still shaking my head from last night wondering why my post which was meant to be positive got interpreted by some people as being an attack on you! I was merely pointing out that IMHO a BGE shouldn't be sold unless the buyer has been told about this forum and how welcome they are to come here. At least you did arrive here out of frustration about pizza failures that made you and your wife think of selling it. So if you felt offended I'm sorry!

Now about the plate setter - Zippylip covered the basics so I won't repeat them - however one thing I do with mine is to wrap the food side with a piece of foil when not using a drip pan. When grease, sauce, marinade whatever hits that hot ceramic surface it burns on and can really become a gross mess. Yes you can scrape and burn it off, but why bother when the foil can be pitched with ease.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Cadfael
    Options
    No offense taken RRP, just a little embarrassed. Good idea on the foil.

Sounds like I'll be using the plate setter a lot!
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    Adding to what everyone else has recommended, you can also use it legs-up as a drip pan holder. Depending on the cook, I'll put four wadded-up balls of tin foil under my drip pan to keep it from scorching on the hot plate setter.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    "just a little embarrassed" Never be! we have all been there and RRP is one that will always answer questions. Sometimes it is hard to type and have the feelings and true meaning come across.
    Anyways! :kiss: I use my plate setter to turn my eggs into ovens. it takes the direct heat of the bottom of any pans or food and moves it around the dome. I bake a lot in my eggs and have one I try not to do much greasy meat in so I don't have that kind of smoke on breads and cakes and pies and such. I would really, really cry if I broke one of my plate setters. I have used soap stones though and small fire bricks to do different set ups on the grates If I wanted more heat than the plate setter will give.
  • Basscat
    Basscat Posts: 803
    Options
    Comfort food!
    Anything you can bake in your oven you can bake in your Egg with the platesetter, and some things really shine with a touch of smoke flavor. Special favorites for me are Macaroni and cheese casserole and meatloaf...

MeatLoafsmall.jpg