Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

what size egg

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can anyone tell me if the small or medium egg is better for cooking for two mostly. I like the medium,but the price difference may deter me.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Ray Pierce, go for the medium unless it really is out of reach. What you'll find is you'll start having more people over to cook for and you'll need the extra space. Many will tell you the medium is the best value. Remember this is a lifetime purchase and won't rust out like a gas grill of comparable cost. BTW there's just two of us here and I started with a large, added a small 4 months later and then a year after that bought a medium, so realize I am hooked on BGE!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Ray Pierce,
    Buy the large, because eventually odds are you'll buy it anyway, or want to buy it. I have a large, and am fixing to buy another large. RRP has given you good advice, but in MHO I would start large and work down, as your needs arise.
    Hammer

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Ray Pierce,
    Tough call. I started on a small that my landlady had. I was cooking for 2 and it sufficed 90% of the time. I moved and bought a large. I love the large. I'm usually cooking for 2, but love the extra room. I am going to buy a small real soon. I want the small because it uses less charcoal and heats up faster than the large. If I had to choose between the two, I would take the large. Either way, your in a win win situation.

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Ray Pierce,
    I purchased a Medium BGE and eventhough I planned on only cooking for two, you'll soon find that egg attracts more people than flies. Get a large...... hell get two, you'll need all the space you can get. Good luck, and happy eggin'
    -Joel

• Ray Pierce,
    Will you ever want to cook for guests? Will you ever want to cook a 16" pizza? Buy the largest you can afford. And then buy a larger one. I "cook for 2" most of the time, but I am glad I have a large.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    ribsplus.jpg
    <p />Ray Pierce,[p]I agree with Hammer. Do what you can to get a large. I started with a large, than a mini and when considering everything went for another large for my third . You will like whatever you decide on but even for two people there are thing that you will want to do that a large make the most sense for. Not to mention all the company you will have wanting to eat off your BGE. Good luck with your decision.[p]Chuck <><

• I starter with a Small. After two years I bought a Large and then a Mini. If you do mostly grilling for two I agree that my route in ownership is fine. I found though that I wanted to do long slow cooks and nothing beats a large for that. BGE sells all the neat excessories for the large also. I would choose a sign based on your cooking style. As wardster said the small goes a long way on usefulness and economy of charcoal. I would plan on owning both someday. Once again they are all good.

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Ray Pierce,
    Last year when I first started considering an Egg, I was thinking of a medium because it was cheaper. Then after comparing, I figured if I was going to invest that much in a medium, a little more was the way to go. Kind of like buying a computer; except the Egg will last much longer.
    Like many egg owners, I'm about to buy a second egg and probably will go with a small since most of the time, I'm now cooking for just myself.

• Ray Pierce,
    Scrape up the nickles and purchase the LARGE egg.
    It's a one time investment that should last a lifetime with proper care.
    The large will do everything the medium and small will do plus cook a 24 pound turkey!
    I also cook for two most of the time and would buy the large again.
    Remember;
    1 tablespoon = 3 teaspoons
    16 tablespoons = 1 cup[p]Gary J

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Ray Pierce, if your choice is between a small and a medium - I would suggest going with the small. The reason is that when you finally decide you want a large, you'll have less invested in the small and you'll find more uses for a small as a second than you will with the medium. I have a large, a medium and a mini and on sone days wish I had a small.

• Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Ray Pierce,
    As you can see, many of us here are using multiple eggs. I started out with a large in June and could not have imagined then where I would end up. I added a mini for camping in July, and then added a small in August. The large is, IMHO, by far the most versatile. But I really like my small and mini. I could get by with the small for most of what I cook, but there are some things that just call for a large. For example, when I do ribs on the large, I also to a big pot of baked beans on the small and hot dogs for the kids on the mini. If you get hooked on these things, you will probably end up with more than one . . . it's just a matter of what order you buy them.

• Ray Pierce,[p]We are usually just cooking for two as well. We have a small, and a large made by...another company. If I could only have one, it would be a large. We like the small, for camping, but the large, in addition to being able to cook more stuff, is easier to find accessories that will fit. [p]There are plenty of times that we fill the large up, when we buy the economy sizes of meat. It just means filling the freezer with leftovers![p]To me, the price difference between the large and the medium is not great enough to buy the medium. I would go for the big boy.
  • You should buy the largest egg you can afford, and you should really think long and hard about whether you are able to stretch a bit and get the large egg.[p]I have a medium egg, and am about to get a large. For things to cook optimally on the egg, you need to leave enough room for the heat to rise and the air to flow around what you are cooking - so the true capacity of any egg isn't the entire surface area of the grate (same as with a gas grill, of course). [p]I thought I was mainly going to be cooking for two people, too, but due to the Egg, I am newly popular with my friends and co-workers. A few times, when I have had company over, I have tried to fit too much on my medium egg, which has affected cooking time and overall results.[p]You are going to use the egg far more than you ever thought. I went from cooking "out" once every few months with a gas grill to cooking on the egg a few times a week. Given this level of use, it is certainly worth making the extra investment.