Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baked potatos on the egg

Options
kolbdriver
kolbdriver Posts: 403
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone cook russet potatoes on the to a internal temp, if so what temp, dome and internal? :ermm:

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Potatoes, Baked, Richard Fl

I actually prefer to bake at 400F after I pierce them all over and rub with EVOO and coarse salt. The oil helps hold the salt and dry out the skin.The salt dries out the skin and the high temperature crisps it. about 45-60 minutes depending on size. Next I like butter, sour cream, scallions, bacon bits sometimes sharp shredded cheese.******* My friend likes butter, scallions, bacon, sour cream and black or red Cavia on hers. ********For sweet potatoes, I do not eat the skin, so foil or not depends on what else is happening. The foil keeps the juices from running over the cooking area. *****Each their own.

Recipe Type
    Side Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2008/03/02
  • kolbdriver
    Options
    Thanks Richard, I will do them your way. I wanted to check internal temp just because I can LOL
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    High in the dome and indirect.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    i've never read the temp, but have used my thermapen. If it slides in and out easily, they are done.

Usually I just squeeze them and see if they are soft.
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    210* internal.
    Ross
  • Klag
    Klag Posts: 208
    Options
    Baked potatos on the Egg are the best. It adds a nice mild smokey flavor, really reminds me of a steakhouse baked potato. I was doing them in the oven while I did steaks or chops on the Egg for the longest time... what a difference!!

I just rub in olive oil then put some kosher salt on the outside. I've done almost every temp possible, if lower temp just takes longer but still comes out good. Indirect if possible, but if not still works. I've never checked the internal temp, I just give it a squeeze with a paper towel if it's soft, it's done.

Could probably finish them in the oven if doing a super high temp cook, as long as ya have it on the Egg for 20-30 min to start it will still have that awesome flavor.