Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Casserole Dish in the egg?

Wardster
Wardster Posts: 1,006
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm getting ready to fire up a chicken dish and I want to cook it on the egg. Can I use one of my regular caserole dishes? I will be going over a plate setter, cooking at 400* should reduce the amount of smoke it will take. Any suggestions or is this ok?
Apollo Beach, FL

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Wardster,
    I would put it on a cake cooling rack that sits on the plate setter. I'm not that enthusiastic about sitting glass directly on ceramic.

• Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Wardster,[p]You will want to wrap the dish in foil! Otherwise, it will get charred black from the smoke.[p]Completely cover the outside of the dish and cook away![p]Stogie
  • Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Stogie,[p]Wardster is utilizing an indirect cook with the plate setter. I won't speak for all materials but neither cast iron nor glass will get charred. Cast iron is obvious, but I bake lasagna in a glass dish at 350°F on the Egg all of the time with no additional elbow grease required.[p]There is no reason not to line the outside of a dish with foil though - that's for sure.[p]Puj
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Wardster,
    Billy below is a link to great pots and pans to cook on the egg.I used these in Atlanta at Eggtoberfest,they are real easy to clean.Nordic Ware has free shipping and the more you order the more diacount you get.
    Larry

[ul][li]Nordic Ware[/ul]