Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nuking food savers?

Options
Sundown
Sundown Posts: 2,980
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Going on a 8 or 9 day fishing trip and have frozen a lot of the food in the Food Saver bags.

Usually I just drop them in boiling water and wait 7 or 8 minutes. (Thawed of course)

Never nuked anything in the FS bag.

Appreciate any thoughts on should or shouldn't.

Thanks

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I would imagine you could if you cut slits in it.
  • emilluca
    Options
    YES cut slits. I got a terrible steam burn because I put the FS bag in microwave took it out and it looked like a giant hot air ballon. Well the seam gave way as I was moving it to the plate. The steam blistered the side of my thumb.
    Be careful
    E
  • momcooks
    Options
    Boiling is much better results, but if you want to zap them, freeze in round bowls first then vacuum. Slits are a definate must.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    I'm cornfused...you have some frozen meals/whatever in FS bags and you're going fishing - apparently really deep into the wilds since your source for cooking will be a microwave! man is that roughing it! Why not leave the stuff frozen, pack well in ice or maybe in the deep freezer in the hell-hole cabin in the wilds and then enjoy a tasty meal by thawing and warming by boiling the FS bag in a pot on the campfire?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Sundown
    Options
    I'm too old to sleep on the ground and cook on a campfire! ;)

The rustic little cabin has a microwave, a gas stove, cable TV, and a dishwasher. All for only $350 for a ten day stay. (we're only staying 8 or 9 days)

As for "deep in the wilds", it's only a 30 or 40 minute ride to a Super Wal*Mart. :laugh:

Thanks for the help guys Tomorrow I will be on a beautiful Maine lake where the silence is just wonderful. Loons, Moose and eagles no other boats or people. :P
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    I've boiled my FS bags before with good results. For some reason, however, they warn not to let them get any hotter than about 175°...for what it's worth.

Is that Moosehead Lake?
  • Shilomare
    Options
    HEY!! Don't forget to take your Small Egg with you!!

Oh, I forgot, not this year....maybe next year at Waldorf....
  • Sundown
    Options
    Richard !

My dealer has several smalls on sale for $299 and I'm tempted to sneak over and get one then tell the little woman I won it in a raffle :evil:

Hey to Carol.
  • Sundown
    Options
    We're headed out to Washington County wayyy Out East fishing Clifford Lake, Pokeymoonshine, Crawford Lake and Silver Pug.

Up to Bangor and hang a left on the Airline (Rte. 9)
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Options
    How about cooking up some fresh fish??
  • Shilomare
    Options
    Carey, no problem, I can send you an e-mail notification of your grand prize winner for a small egg with all the "trimmings" if that will work for you...let me know the "contest" that you enter and you are covered. What a novel experience for Gail to learn to "thaw" the food saver bags on the small deep in the woods..

Our best to Gail...

Richard and Carol..
  • Sundown
    Options
    Gayle in the Maine woods?! I doubt it.

Gayles idea of camping is to have to stay in a hotel without room service for Gods sake.

I'm going up with a long time friend. This is our 5th trip up together he's been going to the same place for 30 years.

I'm off and running.
  • Sundown
    Options
    CPR fishing.

Catch, photograph and release. The only kind of fishing we do.