Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Don't Let this Happen to you or, I'm an idiot!

Options
RWhiplash
RWhiplash Posts: 48
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Background: Took delivery of my large BGE on Valentine's Day this year and have tried about every cook since that day. Purchased my DigiQ II about two months ago and cooked my first butt shortly thereafter with no problems.

Well, it started out so perfect. All of my 14 friends were available for my "Pre-Labor Day BBQ. I picked the butt up from my favorite butcher on Friday and rubbed it up that evening for an overnight in the refrigerator. Early Saturday I did a complete cleaning of the BGE and loaded it with lump for the lighting ceremony scheduled for 7:00 pm and butt on at 8:00 pm. Received a call around 4:30 pm that our kayak's had arrived and we needed to pick them up by 6:00 or we would have to wait until after Tuesday. (We're taking our maiden voyage today) Picking up the kayaks caused us to get home a little late which immediately started causing me some stress (I'm a Virgo) due to my schedule going to hell. No problem, I quickly hooked up the Digi Q, lit the fire and the meat was on the grill by 8:40 pm. Maintained and monitored the cooking temperature at 230 degress for the first couple of hours and was ready for bed.

My bedroom is on the second story of my home but with my binoculars I can read the temp. on the DigiQ from my window. Around 1:00 am I notice that the temp has done a nose dive and is around 215 degrees. I immediately go downstairs and open the top and lower vents a bit. I've never had to do this using my DigiQ in the past. Back to bed but now I'm worried that the temp. will soar with the vents slightly opened. Of course my concern is realized and about 3:00 am the temp. is up to 265 degrees. Back down stairs I go to shut the vents back down. Well, this opening and closing of the vents goes on all day. I've convinced myself I must have plugged up the vent holes with lump when I filled the fire box. I'd already taken the blower off to make sure it was blowing air. Finally at 4:40 pm the meat reaches 200 degrees and off it comes into the towel wrapped cooler. I begin to dismantle the DigiQ and I can't find the cap that goes on the inducer sleeve of the BBQ Guru adaptor door. I immediately spew some expletives as I remove the adaptor from the lower vent. Low and behold, there it is. I never removed it from the sleeve. No air was ever being pumped in from my DigiQ. The good news is that the butt came out perfect and was a big hit that evening.

Moral of the story.....the BGE is even immune from idiots who cook. :blush: Don't let this happen to you.

Comments