Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork butt results

Options
Mañana Mike
Mañana Mike Posts: 29
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Here's what happened last nite. I sorted the charcoal (BGE brand) and put the big stuff on the bottom & fitted smaller chunks around a bit until the firebox was full. Lit it & put two 6 Lb. butts on the grill & then two 8Lb. butts on a raised grill (supported on firebricks). Got the dome temp to 210 and sat back to wait (I had calibrated the temp gauge). After about 3 hrs the polder read 165 on the top ones & 180 on the bottom ones. Panic. I switched them & got the temp stabilized at 210 again & went to bed The temp outside was 25 degrees last nite. After about 2 more hours I checked it out & the dome temp was 75 degrees. Took the butts off, stirred the coals & got them going again, got the temp back to 210 and crashed again. This am the temp was at 220 and the polders read 206 on the bottom and 195 on the top. The total time was 12 Hrs. [p]This is the second time I have had butts take only 11 to 12 Hrs. Am I doing something wrong? The pork looks & tastes great, but I keep thinking this should take about 15 to 18 Hrs. If not, why not just start the process at 6 AM and eat at 7 PM that nite?[p]Any suggestions? Bye the way thanks for answering my post yesterday. You guys are really a big help to ease my anxiety.[p]Manana Mike

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Manana Mike, I don't think you are doing anything wrong. The time is based on the size of the individual chunk. You were doing 6 pounders and I thought all along it would take you 12-14 hours. However, if you still feel you need to test, let me know and I'll help you eat the test results. :-)

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Manana Mike,
    12 hours is not too abnormal for 6 pounders, but it sounds awfully short when you are cooking at 210 dome. And hitting 180 internal in 3 hours is way out of line. Me thinks there is something funny.[p]The obvious question would be "is your dome thermometer accurate?". But you have probably thought of that. A slightly less obvious question (but still important) would be "could the dome thermometer be contacting the surface of the meat, and giving you a false reading???"[p]Beers to you, and good luck solving your prob.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Nature BOy,
    I think that you hit the nail on head with that one.
    R&J

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Nature BOy,[p]I put a spacer on my dome thermometer about a year ago and raised it about an inch - inch and a quarter because I had the problem of the tip touching the meat. No problems since.
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Manana Mike,[p]The first one I did I started at 11pm, but ended up with pulled pork for breakfast...! I've done several since then (6lb range) and usually, they're around 12 hrs or so. I do exactly what you said...get up early in the am and just let it go all day till dinnertime.[p]QBabe
    :~)

• Mañana Mike
    Options
    Wise One,
    You know you are invited. Like I said, the pork looks & tastes absolutely wonderful. Just concerned about the time. 40 folks tomarrow to judge the results. I think the south is g0nna be invaded by Oregonians.

• Mañana Mike
    Options
    Nature BOy,
    Thanks for the comment. Like I said, the pork looks & tastes perfect. Guess I better quit serchin & start eatin.

• Mañana Mike
    Options
    QBabe,
    Thanks a bunch Q. LIke I said, the pork looks & tastes perfect. I just think that you & I are smarter than the rest. Who wants to thrash around between 11 PM & 1 AM when you can sleep. I'd rather get up & work the next day when beer can be added to the project.

• Manana Mike,[p]I am by no means an expert on this. I have only done 7 pork butts. All of mine average 1 1/2 to 2 hours per pound. I like to get up early and cook all day as you are alway screwing with the temp. and lump. Gook luck next time. I use the inderect method with a platte setter and drip pan.[p]Mark

• Mañana Mike
    Options
    Omaha Mark,
    Thanks for the note Mark. I have come to the same conclusion & will sip my adult beverage & watch the fire from now on.