Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby Back Help

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Babybacks have been on for almost 2 hours. Started out at 225, but temp has slowly crept to 300 which it's been at for about an hour.

Was planning on following CW Mike's method to a T....but I'm afraid they'll dry out.

Should I foil for an hour, then finish with some sauce.....should I keep things as they are and finish things off like he instructs (another 2.5hrs of cooking, then finish)?

Help!

Comments

• Egglicious
    Egglicious Posts: 150
    Options
    Did you try shutting down the Egg, I can usually get it to come back down if you catch it in time. I dont think 300 for an hour will hurt to much, I would finish as you planned, maybe just cut the total time by a little. I have four slabs of loin backs on right now, been on for 3 hours just foiled them. Cant wait to dive into them.

js
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    You'll probably be fine. Just try to get the dome temp back down to 250° to 275°. Carwash Mike elevates his temp during the first 3 hours anyway, but he doesn't foil.

The first 3 hours are a sure necessity. Don't cut it short. The next 2 hours can be varied. (You might wish to foil for only 1/2 hour, or you might not use all of the last 1 hour once mopped with BBQ sauce).

When you get the end of the cook, the best test is the bend test. Pick up one end of a slab with a pair of tongs, and see if it bends under its own weight. Also keep an eye on how far back the meat recedes from the end of the bones.

Let us know how they turn out.
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    Ninny. Just kidding. Mike has said until you are comfortable with the method you could foil for an hour and still have good results. As a new user go for what makes you most comfortable and returns good results. Once you gain a little condfidence with the cooker and your skills, then experiment.
  • Thanks guys.

I've had good luck with babys (note, that's not "babies") in the past....not sure what happened today.

I'll let them go unfoiled for the full three hours and will hopefully get the temp down soon. Depending on how they look after the 3, I'll either foil or let em go for another 1 or so before finishing.

Lion (really Lionvoice, I'm sure WMK will fix that soon :-)
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    As the others said stickm with the plan. Cook times are general anyway. They get you close but to really get good results just takes practice as some meat, any meat , will cook slower or quicker than the same cut from a differant beast! ;) Egg is pretty forgiving BUT unless you have people eating who refuse to eat unless well done it is better to pull early than to long and chew on a chunk of raw hide. ;)
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Hope the ribs turned out well for you. Like my friend Mike in Abita said, I encourage all newbies to baby backs to foil at some point. I cook over a hundred slabs a year, and rarely is my technique followed to a T. Spike in temps, drop in temps, it is all how you learn to adjust. Just comes with age, er eggsperience. :woohoo:
    Don't ever be afraid to e-mail for the rib hot line number. ;)

Mike
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Mike keep your phone on I'm doing 3 racks tomorrow :laugh: :laugh: Just kidding, usually do spares but the BB's are going tomorrow.
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    How'd they turn out?
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    I cooked 6 slabs today, then had dinner. :woohoo: Hotline is always open for just saying hi!

Mike
  • Lionvoice
    Options
    Turned out great, thanks for the help!

Would have liked them a bit more fall-off-the-bone, but they had a good pull and good smoke ring.

Blues Hog is fantastic! Now I just have to get me some JH Pecan......