Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Brisket Help

Options
Iowa State Egger
Iowa State Egger Posts: 337
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
All-

I have two flats, each about 3 lbs. I put on the BGE at about 11:00 this morning. Obviously indirect, but I have been consistently between 225 and 250. The Naked Whiz has never let me down, so I have been following his advice.

My question is he refers to the plateau. I hit my plateau at about 3:00 this afternoon, and the temp was about 150. It bounced around a few degrees below that, but right now I am still at 153.

My parents are here for the meal, and I already warned them that this was my first brisket. My question is any idea how much longer I may be looking at. I am in central time zone, so it has been at plateau for about three hours. Naked Whiz says not to panic and rush up the temp, but I don't know if I need to push more apetizers!!!

Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• jamiemeyer
    Options
    Dave,

I have never done a flat of that weight before. But, with a full packer, I have paced for 4 hours waiting to get through the plateau. You can rush it, but you will not be happy with the results.
    Time for more appetizers, and beers. Crank it up after the plateau.

Good luck!
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    It's done when it's done. Although. Being flats I would pull them and wrap with foil, add a half cup beef broth to it and wrap tightly. Raise temp to 300 and back on till 190 internal.

You could also just wait.
  • UnConundrum
    Options
    During the plateau, the collagen is dissolving.... It's the collagen that makes your beef tough. If you rush it, less of the collagen will dissolve and you won't be happy with the brisket. I agree that wrapping it will keep it a little more moist, especially after 6 hours for a 3# brisket. That said, I would not raise the temp as it comes out of the plateau. I believe in steady as she goes....
  • Iowa State Egger
    Options
    All -

Appetizers it is! No rushing meat that has been cooking for almost 8 hours. Temp is already 155, so maybe the end is near.

I will update you my progress!

Thanks!
  • Pyro
    Pyro Posts: 101
    Options
    It's too late now to help, but Mike is definitely on the right track. There is absolutely no reason to cook a brisket for eight to eighteen hours! Here is a link to a long discussion about "The Myron Mixon Method'. http://www.rbjb.com/rbjb/archives/599225/messages/598216.html

Having watched Myron prepare a brisket and cook it, I would add the following to the method presented:

(1) Inject the brisket with an apple juice, sugar, salt and spice mixture the night before cooking. After injecting, coat it with your rub of choice. Alternately use Butcher's beef injection mixed with apple juice (not cider).

The next day, follow the ideas as presented. If you have ever tasted Myron's brisket made with choice beef you will understand what great brisket should taste like. After you taste his wagyu brisket, you will know that God intended for us to enjoy meat.

The basic idea is that you smoke it and then you braise it. Braising has long been accepted as the best cooking method to make a tough cut of meat tender. Cooking on an egg does not change the rules.