Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket

MAC
MAC Posts: 442
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All
I have been on this forum and cooking with Eggs for about 17 years +/-. I have never tried a brisket. I just DON'T believe in rushing into things. LOL I did my homework here first but I have a couple of questions. Do you rub and mustard the fat cap? Fat cap up or down? And if you foil do you put it back on the Egg out of the foil similar to ribs to crust up the bark? Thanks all in advance

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    the only times i have had a brisket and they come out right is when i followed thirdeye's advice

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html

but everygtime i followed it they came out great!!!

good luck ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Egglicious
    Egglicious Posts: 150
    You might open a can worms, fat cap up or down that is the question. You could have 100 respond and it will be about 50/50. I like to do mine fat cap up. I do foil my brisket after the internal temp reaches about 165 and finish cooking to internal of 190. Good luck.

js
  • MAC
    Thanks Benete and Egglicious. I did not want to call anybodies baby ugly here. I have read several sites and am going to do both, up and down. How is THAT for political correctness? This is a big piece of COW. I am looking forward to getting up at 4am to start it. NOT ! ! ! LOL At least at that hour you got no one looking over your shoulder.
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Like Egglicious you will get a lot of different answers for these questions.

I do not rub the fat cap. I feel it is a waste of time and all you are doing is seasoning the drip pan, as the fat cap renders anything adhered to it will drop in the pan and be lost to smoke. When I was using the offset I would put the fat cap up to allow it to shield the meat from the temp at the top of the smoke box. When I was using the WSM. It would be fat cap down for the heat rising from below. Since I got my egg I've tried both ways and settled on cap down. Not sure if there is a real difference on the egg. I just feel that anything running off the top will was off my rub. I don't foil a whole packer until it is done. Cook it till it's 190-200 then separate, foil the flat and put the point back on for another hour or two. Once you foil you do loose some of the bark but it is not a big deal IMO. The payoff in moister (is that a word) brisket. Good luck with yours.
  • Egglicious
    Egglicious Posts: 150
    Good luck. Keep an eye on your temp. just to make sure the Egg holds steady for you. I finally bought a DigiQ so I can sleep a bit better.
  • MAC
    Thanks again. I will. I will post as to how it turns out. This is a long cook for me.