Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

another gasket question

bbqnbeer
bbqnbeer Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I need some gasket advice...I have had my medium since June (been lurking here since April), and tonight I melted my gasket making pizza :( . Can I keep cooking the way it is, or do I have to put a new gasket on the egg? How do I explain to my husband that I melted it :unsure: ?

Thanks,
Cas

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Yes you can keep cooking that way.. As long as you have a decent seal.

I think a nice see-thru teddy bear ought to work.. :evil:
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Did the gasket melt and fall off the rim? Or did you merely burn it to a schnitz?

Mine two eggs have schitzed gaskets... but I just keep on a-cookin' -- B)

At first, I was agast! :sick: "Oh my!" I thought, guiltily, "The sky is falling!" :(

But -- t'ain't so -- ;)

A crispy gasket is a sign of BGE nobility, Second Class. Soon, you'll be promoted to First Class! After that, you'll approach nirvana! :woohoo:

~ Best

~ Broc

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Just tell him it's sort of a right of passage. Then, don't say much more.
  • It was a little sizzled before :ohmy: . Now there is an inch or so where it is loose :whistle: He's still getting over the sticker shock, so as long as it doesn't get stuck, mum's the word :evil: Gotta get one of the nomex ones.

Thanks,
    Cas
  • No harm done, believe me! There's many in here who have egged "commando" (without any gasket) for months and months. It doesn't do too much for your cooks except make the fire go out sooner when you're done. Don't be in too much of a hurry to replace it.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Cas,

If I read your two posts correctly, the gasket is still ok but the adhesive gave way.

If that is correct BGE says get some 3M 77 spray adhesive. Should be able to find it at Home Depot, Lowes or possible Walmart. If not it will be at a frame or graphic arts supplier.

BGE also says you can use elmers glue or any other household adhesive, last few sentences on page 11 of your BGE manual. If you use elmers read the bottle for curing time.

If it were me I wouldn't use epoxy. Crazy type glue does not work real well with porus surfaces - but there is a way around that.

Instructions for both are on page 11.

If you use the spray make sure you have it masked somewhat so the 'sticky' spray doesn't get where you don't want it.

As far as your husband goes, 'looks like the adhesive gave way' and I need some help getting it fixed. I am sure the situation in one form or another has been reversed. It has been him needing to fix or replace something.

The women have a big advantage in life with men. ... women - 'all they have to do is show up'.

Let us know how your gasket fix works.

GG