Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need a little help

Options
Chuck/Tx
Chuck/Tx Posts: 52
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Need to know if my set-up for a beer can chicken is right for a small egg. Brought a small egg home this afternoon and just a minute ago put a beer-can chicken in it. I had to remove the grid from the plate setter legs and place the pan/with chicken on the plate setter. (I put little foil balls between the plate setter and bottom of the pan.) Even with the pan resting on the plate setter, the neck of the chicken is only an inch or two below the top of the lid. Maybe I should be cooking the chicken in a V-rack, rather than on a beer can? Someone that has a small egg, please advise me.

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i did a beer can turkey in my large one time and just set the bber can on the platesetter... it will take the heat and still transferr some but not enough to notice...

although it sounds like your chicken fits so all should be well

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    You might try softly pressing the chicken from the top down to make him "squat" a little lower. Also be careful when closing the lid. Remove the dome thermometer first as you may bend the stem. Spatchcock will also work on a 4-5 lb bird with the legs up and a drip pan below the grid.
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Yep -- I gave up beer-canning [or any other kind of canning] my chickens quite some time ago.

Spatch-**** all the way... light and dark cook evenly, together.

~ B
  • Chuck/Tx
    Options
    I appreciate your comment about the thermometer. Sure enough, I looked and the end of the thermometer was poked into the chicken (don't think I bent it, thank goodness).

It is almost done, is looking good. In the future, however, I may do spatchcock rather than beer can so I can it lay out flat.

Thanks to all of you for your help.
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Options
    Or you can try the now famous 500° chicken. No can, just season it as you like, and lay it breast down right on the grid with a drip pan below. One hour will do it perfectly. No flipping either. Couldn't be easier. But wait about 5-10 low temp cooks under 400° to set your gasket.
  • Chuck/Tx
    Options
    Assume this set-up is plate setter legs up, drip pan on plate setter, grid on plate setter legs, chicken on grid (breast down). Right? Thanks.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    You can also just put the chicken on the grid above the plate setter. (setter legs up). Or, setter legs down, with a spacer then the grid & chicken.

There are a lot of ways to do chicken and most always it tastes fantastic. I gave up vertical cooking chicken a long time ago. Spatchcock or whole for me.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    I am always brest up.

If the egg is at temp and stable, the dome heat is also cooking the meat for you.

You would have to check to see if you have the vertical room but you might enjoy this.

With this I go 400° rather than 500° (Fike's way is great though).

chickspud1.jpg

chickspud2.jpg

chickspud3.jpg

chickspud4.jpg

chickspud5.jpg

Chicken right over the potato/onion pot. Cheese on directly after the cook and tent with some foil.

GG
  • Chuck/Tx
    Options
    Dang that looks good. Makin' me hungry and I just finished eating a couple of hours ago. LOL
  • Chuck/Tx
    Options
    Noted, thanks for the info. I cooked on a large egg for a couple of years. I need to move my cooker around, so got this small egg which is easier to move from one location to another in the back yard and on the patio. I'll need to learn how to cook on this small cooker, but I don't think it will take long since I learned on the large.