Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket Removal Techniques

Options
civil eggineer
civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I previously read about using high egg temps and having the dome cracked open for awhile to soften the gasket adhesive. Any follow up advice or experiences?

Comments

• Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    That is the way I did mine the last time. Worked good. Nice clean surfaces, just wipe down, to remove the dust, and you're good to go.
  • Edemitch
    Edemitch Posts: 196
    Options
    I just finished replacing the gasket on my medium. I use a utility knife to scrape off 99% of the gook. Then I use the propane torch to burn off the rest. Give it another scrape for anything that came loose, wipe off with a wet sponge, paper towel it dry and install the new gasket. I seem to have a defective BGE. My dealer is talking to the mothership to get me a replacement. I've replaced 4 gaskets now and they've done it another 2 times for me. Somehow it just doesn't sit right.

Ed
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    My gasket failure I let the egg cool to 500° dome. With gloves on I pulled up and scraped off the adhesive.

Vert quick and clean removal.

I would try torch first working a few inches at a time and if that is too slow then you could heat the egg. Heating the egg everything is hot.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Hope this all gets sorted out quickly for your.

GG